Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oh the drama

I told Don earlier this week that if I was putting alerts on Sean’s parent’s lives similar to the terror alerts put out by the government they would be a red. They were evicted from their apartment this week. (That is happening at shorter intervals. There was a time they stay put three to four months now it is four to eight weeks.) Ryan’s been out of jail for a month. Ryan hasn’t been drunk for a month and he hasn’t beat Jenny for a month. These are all signs that a drinking binge or beating binge is due. The clincher for red alert is Jenny got a job this week. She started on Wednesday. Whenever she gets a job Ryan has to sabotage it. It literally happens EVERY time. She started working as a server at an assisted living center. It pays $9 and hour and is within walking distance. All Ryan had to do was watch the girls, which he did on Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday Jenny called and was pretty happy wanted to know when she could see Sean before our cruise and was making plans for next week.
Friday I didn’t get a phone call from Jenny. Sometimes that would make me happy but it actually made me nervous. I knew she got off work at 7:30 I texted her, no answer. At 8:00 I called no answer. 10:30 I’m watching TV and my phone rings. I don’t know the number. Usually I wouldn’t answer an unknown number that late but I thought it might be Jenny. It was. She was crying. Ryan had gotten drunk taken $300 from their checking account (she had saved to move on Monday.) I’m sure he would have taken more but there is a daily ATM withdrawal limit. Jenny wasn’t making a lot of sense. She said Ryan had accused her of borrowing money to buy cocaine and sleeping with her brother in law. WHAT? She said it was ok that he beat her but stealing money from the girls was going too far. (This is not the first time he’s taken the rent money and food money for alcohol so I’m not sure why it’s too far.) To make a long story shorter I told her if he came home he was going to beat the crap out of her. I found a safe place she could go and called her and gave her the number. I told her I was going to bed but to call me back if she needed a ride. I haven’t heard from her since. Hopefully, she went to a safe place and is not allowed to call me but I don’t know.
We went and picked up fruit and vegetable baskets today and all morning Sean was stuffing his face with bananas, oranges and carrots. He even ate a cucumber whole like it was a banana. I couldn’t help but watching him gorging on his fruits and vegetables and wonder if his sisters are ok and have food. It is the saga that never ends, it goes on an on my friend. It is such a predictable cycle but Jenny doesn’t see it. She says, “This is it. I’m done. I’m going to leave him. I don’t love him” but then…………..

Evening addendum: He came home and said he's sorry and it won't happen again so everything is ok.

Predictable!

Question: Why when I call the domestic violence shelters they always say they have room but when Jenny calls they are full. Hmm, could it be she is not really interested in change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Carol. I just feel like cussing like a sailor right now. I just want to scream at her, "What will it take??" Ok, I'll try not to take my frustrations out on you, sorry. At least I don't have to deal with her anymore, but I do feel so guilty that I feel a little relieved that she has you at least. Does that make sense? Probably not, but oh well. :) But I can't help but hope a little every time her life falls apart that I'll get that phone call where she says, "ok, Heather...." Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors