Sunday, February 21, 2021

Sadie

 

Carter called me at 7 am Monday and he said "I think Sadie is dying." I told him I would be right over. While I was driving over he called in to work for the first time in the 15 years. When I got to his house Sadie was on the floor barely breathing. I had Carter get a towel, wrapped her up and handed her to Carter. The vet is in the same parking lot and his condo. It was cold so I drove across the parking lot. We ran in with Sadie and I said " the cat is dying." They said what's wrong with it. Hmm, it's dying. The vet wasn't there so the tech took her back to get vital signs while we filled out the information. They said they would assess her and call the vet in if it was an emergency. We went to walk back to the car and the tech came out and told us that she was dead. Poor Carter, he just cried. It was so sad. He loved that cat more than he has ever loved anything. 

Carter had told me a couple years ago that when Sadie died he wanted her cremated so that decision was made. Sometime next week he should get his little kitty urn. The day after she died Carter called me just to talk. In 37 years Carter has never called me just to talk. I asked if he was feeling her jump on the bed when she wasn't there and he said yes. He said he sees her, hears her and even smells her poop. Sadie was 18 years old so he's had her almost half his life. 

Sadie dying made me think of Lani because she was Lani's cat. When Lani was dying she made me promise to take care of her cats. Carter kept that promise with Sadie. Five years ago someone in class told me their sister had adopted the other cat and she was still fine.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors