Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Poor little biscuit

On Saturday we were at The Oaks for lunch and Sean kept licking a lemon and making faces. It was pretty cute and we were laughing but I noticed that the tip of his tongue looked red. I thought maybe he was getting a sore tongue because of the lemon so I took it away. He was OK all day but I noticed he was drooling a little. He's always been a saliva making kid so it wasn't that unusual. On Sunday we went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse. Sean ate a peanut and started screaming like crazy. I told him to stick his tongue out and he had sores on the tip of it. That night when I gave him a bath I noticed two or three blisters on each of his hands and his feet. Bummer, poor little guy has hand, foot, mouth disease. Or as Don calls it, hoof and mouth.

I told Jenny Sunday night that he had hand foot mouth and was contagious. (Though according to the CDC they are contagious for months as they continue to shed the virus so there is no real benefit to isolation.) She wanted Don to drop him off on his way to work. He slept OK so Don dropped him off at 7. At 9 she called to tell me Sean had been sent home from daycare. Now that's a shocker! She said the daycare told her to take him to the doctor and get some medicine. I explained it was a virus and there is no medicine, you just have to keep him comfortable and let it run it's course. Apparently she got a friend to take her to the U where Sean saw a doctor who said "There is no medicine, give him ibuprofen." She ran around with her friend all day calling me periodically because her friend thinks she might be pregnant by a drug addict who beats her..... Too much drama. When she would call I could hear Sean crying. At 1:00 she called and asked if we could take Sean back because he can't go to daycare and Ryan has court. Don picked him up on his way home from work at 4.

Oh what a miserable baby he was. The virus had gotten worsel His tongue, and the sides of his mouth are covered with sores. I imagine they go down his throat too. He was hungry but everything hurt. I gave him ibuprofen, Tylenol and baby orajel. Nothing really seemed to help he was just sad. I laid down with him about 7:30 and he was so distraught. He wouldn't let me hold him or touch him but if I moved away from him he would grab me and hit me. He would just pound on my arms and scream. (Hm, I could make a joke about a family history of domestic violence but I will refrain) He was so mad that he hurt and he had to make doggone sure that I knew his pain. Finally, he went to sleep. I slept in his room and he would wake up every couple of hours and yell "MAAA." I would say "I'm here" and he would go back to sleep. Today we've been watching movies and he's been drinking Mountain Dew. Not the best choice of beverage for a 20-month-old but the only one he will drink.

This virus last 7-10 days and we are three into it. I'm hoping his mouth starts to get better and not worse. The blisters on his hands and feet are almost gone. Poor little biscuit! He wants you to know how miserable he is so you can share his pain. He would also like me to reach out and smack you but that's kind of hard to do through a computer. Consider yourself smacked by Sean.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh my, I do feel Sean's pain and frustration. Do his sisters have it? It was always called 'hoof & mouth" disease in Illinois and it is not uncommon.

Jori said...

OHhhhh...I know he is miserable. What a yucky thing, I am glad he is with you!
Tell Sean I said I am sorry that he feels bad. He will feel better soon.

Stephanie-jean Life:SemiCrunchy said...

Thanks Sean... just in time for our NC trip. Nate is sick and we are not looking forward to it. I am sure that everyone on the airplane is looking forward to it as well. I also know that Autumn and Ian are looking forward to LJ having it too! Hopefully they will ALL recovery quickly! Tell Sean that I know (although I do not remember) how horrible it is and that is MA just need him to get it so should get get revenge on me :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's the saddest thing ever. Poor little guy. I am SO glad that YOU have him while he's feeling so miserable.

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors