Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ten Little Fingers Ten Little Toes

Don, Sean and I were at the library yesterday and I found this book, Ten Little fingers and Ten Little Toes. At first glance, I was like hey, Sean was born with eleven fingers and ten toes and October only has seven fingers and ten toes, not every little baby has ten fingers and ten toes. The illustrations were so cute that I checked it out anyway. Sean and I read it and it has a really great rhythm. After every baby has ten fingers and ten toes line I would say EXCEPT SEAN he had eleven fingers, because he's special and we would laugh. We had a lot of fun reading it. For some reason I had the urge to send the author a note. Don't ask me why, I don't know, I am just strange. I found her website and sent her a note telling her how Sean and I read the book and really liked it but made adaptations because he was born with eleven fingers. I really didn't expect to get a response but tonight she sent this email. It made me laugh and I wanted to share it. Now I will have to buy a copy of the book and save the email for Sean.
Dear Carol

Thank you so much for your funny, gracious email about Sean and his set of extraordinary fingers. My darling husband was terribly concerned when I wrote TEN LITTLE FINGERS AND TEN LITTLE TOES that there would be children who didn't have that number of digits and I told him gently that on this occasion I had to go with the majority and hope that the others wouldn't mind. He nearly had a fit when he read your message. He's very tenderhearted. I pointed out that you are an exquisite example of 'not minding' and making the book very special anyway. Thank you so much.

In Adelaide where I live, my favourite children's bookseller, James Williams of Pegi Williams Bookshop has only one hand, having been a thalidomide baby. My message for him inside that book was quite something! He loved it. Thank God the world is full of understanding people with a sense of humour.

Loads of love to you both and especially to the divine Sean,

Mem Fox xxx

5 comments:

Jori said...

As always with your stories....WOW! This is great.

Jaclyn said...

How do you find time to do it all? WONDER WOMAN. I hear the song in my mind every time I think of you.

Not ready to push yet. Need to get the nursery finished first. Then I'll start pushing.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. I want to go check out that book now!

hope2adoptbaby said...

Cute! I'll have to check out that book too...even though we haven't met, I keep track of little Sean through Heather. Congrats. on the huge victory of gaining legal custody! Shelby

Heather BT said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog.
We often alter the books we read the kids, substituting their names and family members names for characters in the stories. It works best when they're familiar with the story, and then you make the sudden change up. They really enjoy it.
I'll be reading up on your blog soon.
Heather BT
adoptakid.blogspot.com

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors