Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Festivities and ARE YOU KIDDING ME?







We've been busy little bees this week. It's funny, when I take Sean and go out with my nieces and their kids I don't feel any older than "the other mothers" and THEN I remember there was a time when I changed "the other mothers" diapers and I feel old! Oh well. Catherine has told me several times she never expected to be raising kids the same age as her Aunt Carol and father. Life is a funny thing.

Steph and I took the kids to Gateway and learned the science of root beer. It was fun. While there a woman came up and said "you're Carol Cramer" and I said "well I was." I could tell she was excited to see me but I didn't recognize her. She kept saying "I'm Becky." Ah ha, she was a little neighbor girl from when we first moved to Centerville before AJ was born. She used to come over and help me with the boys. She was around 8 when I met her. When she turned 12 she used to baby sit. Her mom was a single mom with 5 kids by 5 dads. Becky and her sister Jen were the oldest and very responsible. I asked how everyone was. Now her mom is living at the homeless shelter, Victoria is on meth, Nicholas is living on the street, Christopher is an alcoholic and Jen is doing OK but in an abusive relationship. "Wow, Becky that's really sad." She said "but I'm doing good! I always knew I was going to be just like you and I am. I have three kids and a nice husband and someday I'm going to be a nurse." It was really sweet. I met her kids and they were cute. It was very touching to hear we had a positive influence on her life. We certainly weren't trying, she was just a cute little baby sitter.

And for the are you kidding me? I was talking to Jenny tonight making plans to take the girls trick or treating and she mentioned that Ryan is in jail (AGAIN). "Oh, I thought I'd told you" she said. Gee, I think I would have remembered that. Of course it wasn't his fault. They went to a haunted house and apparently he was drunk and disorderly. The not his fault part is the police computer showed he had an outstanding warrant that he has resolved. I told Jenny if there was an award for standing by her man she would get it. Of course she'd have to share it with all the women I meet at the battered women's shelter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. jail again, huh? Maybe they can dedicate a cell in his name. Makes me sooo glad that Sean and Ryder are where they are. Poor girls, though.

Cute pics, I love them--and your stories.

Stephanie-jean Life:SemiCrunchy said...

I was thinking about how it is funny that you and I have kids the same age the other day when we were at Discovery Gateway!

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors