Monday, December 25, 2023

Aric Sr death

I got a call from AJ about 11 at night on the 7th saying his dad was sick and they needed to leave for St George and were bringing the kids over. Hence, the bed is full of doggies.

On the 6th or 7th, I can't remember which; Carter called me and said he had talked to his dad, and his dad had a broken back and wasn't doing well. He wanted a second opinion before back surgery. Carter asked me if I could die from a broken back. I told him he did not usually; you just wished you would cause it to hurt so bad. I hadn't heard anything from Alex or AJ, so I didn't think about it until AJ's call. AJ called in the morning and said Aric was unconscious, and they were putting him on a ventilator, and I needed to get Carter to St George. Alex was already on his way. I called Carter a plane ticket and drove to his work to pick him up. I walked in and told the people at the front desk that I needed Carter and that he wouldn't be back for a few days due to a family emergency. They went and got Carter, and I was waiting in the lobby. Carter walked out, and the fear on his face when he saw me was fucking tragic. He just knew. I told him to step outside with me. I told him I thought his dad was going to die and I needed to get him to St George. The look on his face was so devastating.

Friday afternoon, AJ called and asked us to drive the kids to St George to say goodbye to their grandfather. He has staph throughout his body, in his heart and brain, and had a massive stroke.

Khloe holding his hand.


Vally holding his hand.
Connor was sitting on a bed, counting to 100.

 Watching my kids deal with their dad's death was probably the hardest thing I've ever witnessed. I have been so devastated by it. I'm suffering from some disenfranchised severe grief. I've been surprised because I've been divorced for 25 years, and the chances of us staying married were 0. I never thought of Aric unless it involved the kids or grandkids. We did a pretty decent divorced job of raising the kids, but we did it separately, so I wasn't sure why I was so affected. AJ talks about how much he misses the houses he's lived in. I kind of leave the past in the past and don't think much about it, so when Aric died, I was forced to think about the past and how young and naive we were when we got married. Everything that went so wrong and the things that went right, and I just felt a tremendous sense of loss for Aric dying so young, Maddie losing him, his kids losing him, and his grandkids not having their grandfather. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors