Monday, December 25, 2023

Now Marjie is sick

 We got back from Aric's memorial Friday evening. First thing Saturday, my phone rang, and it was Shari. Marjie had a seizure and had been taken by ambulance to a UNC hospital at 4 am. Her lab values were so bad. I really thought she was going to die. And all I could think was I would never get to talk to her again. I didn't even know what to do. I thought about flying out yesterday, but she was still in the ER, so I decided to wait until this morning, and fortunately, things got better overnight.

Initially, they thought she was septic from a lumbar puncture she had as a prerequisite for a dementia drug trial. She woke up, and her labs started improving with antibiotics. They now think it was the DDAVP they gave her for her Von Willebrand. When they did the LP, they dropped her sodium so low it caused the seizure and pushed her into multi-system organ failure. 

As of today, they are thinking her seizure was sodium-related and not an infection, so they are not going to repeat the LP. They tried 5 times yesterday and couldn't get one, so they were trying to get an interventional radiologist to come in on Christmas Eve, and that didn't happen.
If Cary hadn't woken up, she'd be dead.

Shari was sending me her lab work, and this one put me over the edge. It was MSOF from sepsis, just like Aric.








No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors