Friday, September 11, 2009

Sean's World




Sean and his beloved blankie



I haven’t given any Sean updates lately and thought some of you might be wondering what is going on. Sean’s dad went to jail two months ago after being arrested for aggravated assault. He has been serving time for eight previous charges. He got out of jail on bail on Tuesday after finishing his reduced 180 day sentence. Thursday he went to court for the assault charges and the prosecutions witness (the drunk he beat up) did not show up so the charges were dropped. If he pays his remaining court fines he should be free and clear of the judicial system. During the time he was in jail the state was paying daycare for the kids. Jenny wanted to keep Sean during the week and take him to daycare with the girls. I didn’t understand it but Sean liked daycare and I really didn’t have any choice in the matter. I would pick Sean up Thursday and we would keep him until Monday morning and Don would drop him off on his way to work. Its’ very strange, when Jenny has Sean she calls me two, three, five, eight times a day. When I have Sean she doesn’t call at all or calls once. It seems like it should be the reverse. It’s like she wants to make sure I don’t forget her. It’s been stressful for Sean because he really likes the routine of our house but he has enjoyed seeing his sisters. When he comes back after three nights he won’t feed himself. He just sits at the table and points at what he wants you to feed him. After a day or two he starts feeding himself. Sometimes when he comes home he doesn’t talk for a couple of hours. Once he has his blanket, a bath, eats, watches a little Sesame Street and reads about eight books he gets back into the swing of things. All and all he adapts to the change really well. He is a trooper about it.

Sean loving the kitty that doesn't want to be loved
I was worried that with Ryan out of jail that I wouldn’t see him for awhile. Fortunately, for the time being at least that is not the case. After two days (instead of three) Jenny called and asked me to pick Sean up from daycare. I told Ryan that I hoped being in jail was a life changing experience and that he got his act together. He said he was starting high school classes and had learned his lesson. I would like to say I am optimistic but really I’m not. Since he’s been out of jail Jenny hasn’t gone to work. She worked two weeks at Burger King. That s how long she’s been at every job she’s had since I’ve known her. She hasn’t told me that she’s quit she just tells me she didn’t have to work, Mon, Tues, Wed or Thurs. I take that as an ominous sign that neither will have jobs; they will lose all their state funding and spiral (that’s assuming they have risen to a point from which to spiral). I am very grateful that Jenny has the Implanon and won’t be getting pregnant this week. Her last baby was a “daddy got out of jail conception.” I told Jenny I was glad that she couldn’t get pregnant because I didn’t think Heather was ready for another baby yet. (Heather may be ready for a new baby but she sure as heck isn’t ready for another pregnancy and neither am I!!!)







Sean and AJ (his brother from another mother)


Sean is just getting so big and he is so dang smart. AJ asked how Sean could be so smart and I told him I honestly don’t know. All those kids are just as smart as they can be. Sean is talking in full sentences. Yesterday he said “you’re cute and I’m funny.” We were watching a movie in my room and when we walked downstairs it was dark Sean said “where is everybody?” He says: “I don’t want that”, “It’s too hot”, it’s too cold”, let’s read books”. He is conversant and he’s not even two; it’s fascinating the speed at which his vocabulary is growing. He’s past animal noises and body parts, he’s ready to debate and negotiate. I was using a tool and he came up and said “it’s my turn”, I said “no, it’s my turn.” He walked out of the room and came back with his brand new tractor which he handed to me and said, “It’s your turn, that’s my turn.” How can you argue with that? We were eating brownies and ice cream when we got to the end I said “all gone.” He pointed at the pan of brownies on the stove and said “un uh, more please.” How can you argue with that? Nate picked up Grandma’s cane and Sean took it from him and said “no, grandma’s” and put it back by her chair. We had a birthday party for Kylie and sang happy birthday at the kitchen table so now when he sits down he sings “happy birthday.” That is one cute, smart kid and we sure love him.

Kylie is four

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I am completely bawling now after reading that. That was the sweetest Sean post ever, and I guess that's what breaks my heart--fear for my baby's brother's future. I know I kinda have to give up hope for Kylie and Brie, but I am so happy Sean has you, I just keep hoping that somehow it will all work out and become permanent. We just need one measly little miracle--is that too much to ask?! Ok, I'll stop now before I bawl even more. By the way, you're completely right--I am NOT ready for another Jenny pregancy at this time--hallelujah for Implanon (and Carol)!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love seeing pics of Sean, I think the resemblence between him and Ryder is so strong, I love it!

Sharon said...

Thanks for the pictures and the update on Sean. Uncle Pete and Nancy were here today for lunch and asked how things were with Sean. They saw some of the pictures and agree he is a cutie. Glad to hear he has developed a vocabulary so young. He seems to have a strange reaction to the visits to his parents. Do they spoon-feed him? Do his parents understand that an open adoption would enable them to maintain contact with him, but not be responsible for his welfare. It seems like they would appreciate that - but different people have different ways of looking at things, I guess.

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors