Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Vacation recovery and snow

We really needed a vacation to recover from our vacation. Today I was sitting at a stoplight and I thought I need a vacation and then I remembered we just got back from one. Oh well.... We got home and the next day I had a class start. Don had a day off but he was sick. I finished a class on Friday and we had another start on Saturday. We have been running since we got home.

I took mom to the doctor on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week. AJ and I got pretty good at hauling her up and down the back steps in her wheelchair. Mom even got good and not trying to hang on to the side rails. I kept yelling at her to let go and she would say "I'm just trying to steady myself." I told her there was no way she was steadying anything, if she went down we all went down! I'm glad she didn't get her hand broken grabbing at things because once we were going there was no way of stopping.

She had surgery yesterday to have her gall bladder removed. I had ordered a portable wheelchair ramp with two day delivery in hopes it would get here before she got home from the hospital. I figured bump, bump, bump after surgery would feel really bad. I had Brad and Lynn come over to help me get her down the stairs with as little bumping as possible. Fortunately the ramp made it in time so we set it up and Brad rolled her down the stairs. Much easier. I forgot to take a picture. After she got in bed I remembered but she wasn't willing to get in her wheelchair and reenact the getting home from the hospital scene. Spoil sport:) She did amazingly well. We were home within six hours and she really felt much better than I expected. She ate dinner and put an ice pack on but really doesn't feel any worse than she did before the surgery. Her biggest complaint has been not sleeping. I think the lortab she was taking was starting to make her agitated. She's taking percocet at night right now. When we go back to Dr Horsely we will talk about some sleeping pills. I'm not so concerned about doctor appointments now that we have the ramp to the outside. Now even if her back hurts she should hopefully be able to enjoy her food again. I also ordered a new wrap around walker so she can cook without worrying about falling over.

We had the first decent snow fall of the year last week. Sean was pretty excited when he woke up.

Get those kids shoveling while their young. When Sean knocked on Ethan's door for the first time after our trip Ethan opened his door and yelled "YIPPEE!" I think he missed Sean.

Sean was sick again this week. Just for a night he needed oxygen. We bought an oxygen concentrator this week. I had to return the rental or get another month charge. It just gives us piece of mind to have one. Unless he's really sick we don't have to go to the hospital. Our regular doctor is really good about working to keep him home. We are going to see a pulmonologist if this keeps up. I don't think he's going to tell us anything we don't know but we will go see one anyway.

Sean keeps talking about Costa Rica. Today he asked if it was on earth. Smart kid! He also told me he had to learn more Spanish so he could talk better when we go back. Tonight at dinner Sean and Ethan were eating and as soon as they were done Ethan said "OK let's go to my house and see what my mom cooked!" A couple of days ago they were arguing over prayers. Ethan told Sean he didn't pray right and Sean told Ethan he didn't pray right. I let them both say the dinner prayer but they were still going at it. I told Ethan there were lots of way to pray and he told me "no there are not!" Boy, is he a future missionary or what. I told Sean he could pray however he wanted and he could pray in Spanish if he wanted. Ethan thought that was pretty funny.

David has been working full time hours but is cutting back this week. I don't know why they had him scheduled so much when he is still in school. He's doing OK in school. Alika and AJ started back to classes. Alika is taking Spanish and is overwhelmed by the assignments. She only has one other course and its rock climbing so she can put all her focus on Spanish.

Jenny had a DCFS hearing last week. The state filed to terminate parental rights and the trial is still scheduled for March. Jenny was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia so now she has that to deal with. She came over on Sunday to see Sean. I took her to lunch and she told me "Ryan has gone off the deep end." I don't have a clue what that means, I thought they were both already in deep water. I haven't seen or talked to the girls since we've been home. Talked to Lanette who said they were well.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors