Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The ridiculous

I will start with things I found ridiculous in Iceland. First and foremost the prices. Just when I thought I could no longer be shocked I was shocked. Don and Sean just shared a desert that consisted of half a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a smear of mouse and a piece of cookie. It was $25. What bugged me even more than the price was the chef. The food was prepared behind a station in full view of the tables. The head chef, at least I think he was the head chef because he was instructing other chefs kept stuffing food in his mouth in between plating. At one point he put some sauce on the back of his hand and licked his hand. Seriously! Who does that in plain view. I complained to the waitress and she looked at me like I had grown another head. I guess it is culturally unacceptable to complain about the chef.
 The food was pretentious everywhere we went. Those three little mini burgers were $30. A bargain I'm sure. One was puffin, one was whale and one was lobster. I don't think I like puffin. I can't be sure because there may have been a piece of puffin on that mini bun or it could have been a large booger. Hard to say, really. The ribs and skewer of fish were decent.
I will just admit that I am glad I came to Iceland but I can't imagine I would ever return. There are so many other places I'd like to visit. I can put this on my "been there, done that" list.


 Despite the dismal food I gotta say this cup of hot chocolate was fantastic! It came from a little dive hole in the wall place that translated is called "Fire and Ice." Really excellent. Sean loved their ice cream too.
This take pretentious to a whole new level. This $50 plate of fish is covered with dried crust of olive, highly salted and served on a bed of tartare. Yuck, who eats raw beef? Gross. I scraped the tartare off my overly salted fish.

The Hilton has a breakfast buffet that is nice at a mere $35 a person. Despite it's dismal fail at providing a real meal this country has some fantastic bread. Really great bread and butter. They don't put their butter on a dish they just slather it on  a rock and put it on your table. I'll to remember that if my butter dish is dirty.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors