Sunday, March 29, 2015

Getting our Chinese Culture on

We went to PF Chang's for dinner. When you got to a Chinese restaurant with a Chinese person and she looks at every dish and asks "what is this?" you have to question the authenticity of the food. Apparently there are no lettuce wraps in China and a whole bunch of other stuff we ate. I told her they were Chinese taco's. She said they have the stuff that goes into the lettuce wrap but they put it in hard tofu.
We went to Shen Yun Performing arts show at the Capitol theater.



$80 bucks a ticket. It was a pricey show.

I had mixed feelings about this show. It was interesting to see it with Phoebe otherwise I would have felt like it was just anti-China propaganda. "China is bad, China has no freedom." Phoebe said you really can't see Shen Yun in China and you can't even search it on the Internet. She saved the programs to give her mother. Sean got bored about half way through the first half of the program. There were a couple of dances he liked but most bored him. When the opera singer sang he put his fingers in his ears. He did well though he made it through the entire show.The show is anti Chinese propaganda and pro Falun Dafa sect propaganda. It's like a weird show trying to convince Americans that the Falun Dafa way is the better way. I was confused when it was all over.


  During the singing performances they had the words on a screen in English and Chinese. I asked Phoebe if it was translated poorly because it was so damn funny. There are funny translations all over China. She said they were not great translations but the words to the song were funny.   I wish I could remember exactly what it said but it went something like this "Atheism is a lie, the theory of evolution is a sham." I started to laugh, it was so hard not to laugh out loud. My shoulders were shaking and I was actually crying. The majority of Chinese are atheist and they were calling this performance a review of Chinese history. I think it's more like propaganda for Falun Dafa as opposed to being historically relevant. That said, I'm glad we went it was an interesting evening.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors