Saturday, July 18, 2015

Racing and the Great Stinky Lake

Don took a two day race car driving course at the Miller Motor Cross Park. Today we went out to the race track to see where he raced
Sean wanted to ride the go karts but you have to be 8. I told him to say he was 8 and he said "I can't lie." Such an honest kid. I told him we would go back next spring and take Kylie and Brie.

On the way back we stopped at the Great Salt Lake. Dang the smell was so bad I almost turned around and went back to the car. Once we got to the lake it was OK but the smell on the shore was awful. There are hundreds of dried up birds. Apparently thousands of Grebes have died from avian cholera or West Nile virus. Apparently 15000 birds washed up shore in 2008 and the several more thousand died in 2013. I couldn't find any more recent information. All those white spots are dead birds.

Sean and I venture out in the water. It was warm.

We walked out pretty far and the water was still only up to our knees. The shore is so huge. I was telling Sean how Salt Air was under water in the 1980's and he couldn't even imagine. Honestly neither could I.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors