Thursday, August 31, 2017

Love Loud and Imagine Dragons

We went to the Love Loud music festival because Sean wanted to see Imagine Dragons. The festival was different all the bands, Walk the Moon, Neon Tree and a couple others had a Utah County connection. The purpose of the festival was to connect the LGBTQ community and the Mormon community. There was a whole lot of "we love the LGBTQ youth" and then a bunch of we love the Mormon's. There was even some scripture quoting which I just found strange. They had Tom Christopherson there who is Todd Christopherson's brother. My mom would have gotten a kick out of that. 

Sean had to wait for all the other bands to play and the speakers to speak. He was surprisingly patient.


And finally Imagine Dragons! Sean loved it. The concert ended about 11. We had amazing parking when we got there at 6. I'm not sure how we got so lucky. We were out before the traffic got bad. Our ears were ringing. It was loud!



We were trying to take a selfie on the way out and I cut off  Don's head. A couple stopped and took one for us with Don's head intact.

With all our heads intact!

Sean loves his music, which makes this note from his teacher on the second day of school amusing. Sean said "I just don't like the song we were singing." Don told the teacher he liked Imagine Dragons so the next day she asked him to stay in for recess to listen with her. He wanted to go out and play basketball. That's a cute teacher who tries so hard to engage with all her students by the second day of class.

Dear Sean's parents,

This is Su Laoshi. Sean's 4th grade Chinese teacher.
Sean is a lovely boy. I love having him in my class. After two days of school, I noticed that he is not as engaged in some of my classroom activities as other kids are. I have read your "handle with care" paper.  You said one of his fear is "being left at school."  Do you mean by " being left out at school?"   I noticed today  that he didn't enjoy our singing learning time. (or maybe I took his facial expression the wrong?)  I had a praivate converation with him. I understand that singing is not everybody's thing.  But I hold the believe people love singing by nature. Because we all hum when we are happy. I am wondering if he is not confident in singing and he is afraid of getting embarrassed?  And his awareness of things get in his way of learning it?

I want to help kids learn to love music/art/dance/science/.... love learning. I don't know how to motivate him as his teacher. It will be great if you can help me figure out how to engage him better in my classroom.

I am looking forword to either meeting you and Sean, or just your email response.

Thank you,

Su Laoshi
Stewart Elementary

1 comment:

Milla Chen said...

Su Lao Shi is a great teacher! She always invite me and mingting to a dance class with her when we were there! I like her :)
I was also surprising when I saw her students singing and dancing with a Chinese song which is not easy to learn. Kids love it and I can tell from their face! I hope Sean can enjoy her class soon!

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors