Friday, November 16, 2018

Lovely, more rain and a night in Chicago


Sean in his School of Rock shirt.
Lovely had a little accident in the hotel that required an immediate wash. I guess technically Sean had the little accident. I was really nervous about sending his blanket to a strange hotel laundry and thought about it several times throughout the day. I expected Lovely to be in the room when we got back to the hotel but it was not. Sean and I ran downstairs and they had it in a room behind the front desk.
I love the Defective sticker. Yes, Sean chewed the corner of the blanket off.
If we thought Monday was rainy, Tuesday was absolutely pouring!

Our flight home was kind of a disaster.  I'll just re post my TripAdvisor review rather then rewrite the story.

I know Southwest has open seating and try to plan accordingly. If I’m not going to be near a phone or computer I pay extra buck for early check in. For our trip to NYC we had our A boarding and all was well. Our trip back from NYC did not go as planned. Twenty four hours before our trip we sat in a restaurant on Broadway with our alarms set our app open and our finger perched waiting for the exact minute to check in. BAM, we scored A seating. All was well!

Unfortunately our flight was delayed long enough that we would not make our connecting flight in Denver. In an attempt to get home Southwest moved us to a flight to Chicago with a later connection to SLC. BAM, our boarding went from A to C. We were the last to board a full flight. There were two seats left on the plane. I told my son to sit in a middle seat and made my way to the center of the plane. I got to the center and looked up to see my son going into full panic mode. I told the flight attendant “my son’s having a meltdown.” She say’s “there are no more seats.” Yeah, I get that.

I make my way back up to my wheezing, crying child. I give him a hug tell I'm sorry but I can't fix it. He cried harder. The man sitting at the window, God bless him gives me his seat so my son and I can sit together. Then the man who gave up his window seat for a crying child made his way to the only open seat which is was a middle seat next to a very large man. Really, God bless that man!

In response to my son’s meltdown my husband heard the flight attendant say “this is the problem with open boarding, but they should have boarded as a family.” My husband chimed in “my son is 10 and the family boarding is for six and under.” The flight attendant said “I thought since he was having a meltdown he was under six.” Really, there is an age limit for separation anxiety? Yes, my son is 10, outside the range of Southwest family boarding plan. The fact remains he has serious separation anxiety. Maybe it’s from being separated from his sisters when he was young, maybe it’s interaction with foster care, maybe it’s hospitalizations, maybe it’s from being adopted at 4, maybe it’s just who he is. But he was a scared, crying 10-year-old working himself into a full blown asthma attack because he was separated from his parents on a plane in the dark, in the sky, surrounded by strangers.

Ultimately the plane to Chicago was delayed on the runway eventually and we missed that connecting flight and spent the night in Chicago. We switched our A boarding passes for C and still missed the plane. I know there are small children who fly as unaccompanied minors, and that’s great. I’m impressed that they are brave enough to fly alone but by son is not one of those children.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors