Saturday, May 15, 2021

Alaska

 

Mao Yu goes back to China June 7th. For the three years she has lived with us she has wanted to go to Alaska. Specifically to see the Northern Lights. The day after we got back to Florida I saw round trip, non stop Delta flights to Fairbanks Alaska for $118. I asked Mao Yu if she wanted to go knowing that there was very little chance we would see the Northern lights.

I'm not going to lie, 3 days in Fairbanks Alaska in May felt like 10 days. It was light 20 hours a day. It was snowy in the mountains and muddy everywhere else. Not enough snow to ski, too much snow to ATV or kayak. There was literally nothing to do. We stayed one night in Fairbanks and two nights at Chena Hot Springs.

We took a ride in a jeep with a bunch of sled dogs running ahead of us.

We went to an ice museum


We hiked, and hiked.

Sean climbed on a dragon.


We stopped at Walmart and bought a bunch of food because the resort only had one place to eat with mixed reviews. We ate there once and it was over priced and mediocre but we had a great room and lots of food. The TV had 5 channels and we had no phone or internet. Sean was losing his mind!

We went to North Pole Alaska

The museum of the North was pretty cool. I was not surprised to learn how awful the Native Alaskans were treated.

No Northern Lights but we've been to Alaska.

Alaska is pretty.

When I've gone on cruises I've always disliked how little time in the ports but I honestly think six hours in any Alaskan port would be sufficient. I'm glad I went and I would go on a cruise and see the ice bergs and scenery but that's it. I can take Alaska off my bucket list. Don stayed home and worked!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors