Tuesday, November 17, 2009

David - teenager extraordinaire

Alika took this picture of David and Sean tonight after dinner. David was playing on the computer and Sean was singing "ring around the rosy". David took time out of his game to teach Sean that "ring around the rosy" was about the black plague.

I love to watch David with Sean. They are so interactive. Sean thinks David is totally awesome. David likes Sean too (now). For a long time David didn't pay any attention to Sean. Sean was about seven months old and he was sitting in a high chair next to David at the kitchen table. For some reason David looked over at Sean and for the first time actually noticed him. In a shocked voice David said "THAT BABY HAS THREE THUMBS!" That comment put everyone else at the table into fits of laughter. Seven months and how many "three thumbs up" and "hang eleven jokes" had we made and he was just now noticing the extra thumb. Their relationship has greatly improved since that day.

Ever since David was a little boy he has always been a little unaware of his surroundings. Last week I picked David up from hockey and he opened the back of the jeep and was getting ready to throw his hockey stick in and he stopped and asked "is Sean in his car seat?" I was just so impressed that he actually stopped his action and thought about who he was going to hit with the hockey stick. I was so proud of him. I've said it before but it's worth repeating. I am glad that the aliens who stole David when he was 13 returned him. They only kept him for 18 months. David is doing great in school. He's even started tracking his GPA. He's busy with hockey, guitar and skate boarding. He's getting his drivers permit this month too.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Just stopping by to say thank you for your comment on my blog. (Re: Boxing Maya.) Perhaps one day the world will be so multi-ethnic that it won't be such a big deal to check several boxes. Or maybe one day boxes won't matter. Here's looking forward to that day! (BTW, your Sean is a cutie!)

modej said...

It's so energizing to get past those 18 or so, scary months! I've noticed the same with my 15 year old, Malachi. I love to watch the sibling interaction now and I love the fact that I'm not the only one who cares about the GPA! I can see that raising teenagers just takes plenty of love, a lot of me minding THEIR business, and a whole lot of patience! whew, pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!

mnmsalyer said...

You mean there may be light at the end of this teenager tunnel? It's great to hear that you've had some shining moments with your teenager! I do love those moments when their worlds collide with ours in a good way and we can see into them a bit.

OH, and I didn't notice the 3-thumb thing at all, but then we were only there for about 12 hours or so, right? I guess I have something else to look forward to for the next time I visit out there.

Rachel said...

That's too sweet! I love the dynamic of much older siblings with little siblings - it's so adorable!

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors