Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Writing anything but my thesis!

My thesis proposal was accepted by my committee yesterday so I should be actively writing. Instead I am having one of those lets think of what else I can do other then my thesis. Appealing options include: clean out the fridge, wash the bathroom rugs.... You get the idea. I will post one blog and then I will get busy. I swear, I will.

Whenever I start a C.N.A. class I have the students play a little ice breaker. They get into groups and identify things they have in common then they each list one "unique" thing about themselves. I always have some whopper stories and think "I should write that down" but I don't. Now I will.

Last months favorite was a woman who had her gallbladder out and for some reason kept her gall stones in a bowl on her desk until her three year old found them and ate them. That is so disgustingly funny.

Last nights favorite was a sad looking little teenager who told us she was conceived in the yard at the Utah state prison when her mother was visiting her father. She said the guards were all amazed that her parents were able to find a spot in the prison yard to to do the deed and not get caught. I don't know what is more troubling about this story, the idea that it happened or the fact that her mother told her it happened.

OK, I'm going to work on my thesis now. Really, I am! Right after I check my Facebook.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Carol, fun blog !! I hope your thesis is fun too. What is your subject? CONGRATULATIONS, by the way. It is impressive that you do all the things that you do.

I heard a funny story yesterday from Ellen, Larry's sister. She has a cute little dog that likes to ride with her in the front seat. She got a new car with a bunch of control buttons on the flat armrest-thing on the door. She stopped was about to get out of the car when the dog climbed over her lap and stepped on the control button that moved the seat forward. That trapped Ellen in the car and she didn't know how to move the seat backward and she couldn't reach the glove box to get the instructions out. Finally, her son noticed her sitting in the car and came out to help. (That should have motivated her to lose a couple hundred pounds.)

Get busy on your thesis.

katepickle said...

Euuuuw that gall stones story is gross... but funny!

Wow you must hear some interesting stuff!!

Congrats on your thesis.. now go write!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I SO get you on the procrastination thing. But congrats on having your thesis proposal accepted!

Stephanie-jean Life:SemiCrunchy said...

I could see Jenny telling one of her kids in a few years that they were conceived that way!

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, I love your posts. And I totally relate to the procrastinating thing. Darn technology, that makes it so much easier!

Good luck on your thesis!

jeanie said...

Thanks for popping by mine and commenting!

lol - I am sitting here at 4.30am with the intention to finish a work project - but just after I finish my emails and return comments and...

I know your suffering!

Great blog.

Annie said...

The fact that her parent was in prison?

Yipes.

I think my "unique" thing would be that in college I majored in "Reading Aloud". Really - I realized that with some horror the other day. I did have a double major. One was Russian language. The other was ostensibly Theatre and Dance, but my focus was given the hoity-toity title of "Oral Interpretation of Literature". All I can say is, I am REALLY glad I had a full scholarship - otherwise I'd feel the need to grovel at the feet of whomever paid for THAT! Although, really - it was wonderful. I loved those courses, and I HAVE done some radio and voice-over work.... And my son complimented me the other night on my "voices" when I read aloud to them at night.
I should hope so!!!

Rachel said...

Those are hilarious stories! I could read those all day long. The gallbladder one - wow - hilarious. My hubby wanted my gallstones to put with my previously removed foot bone, but the surgeon didn't give it to him.

Guess he'll just have to be happy with a foot bone in his collection of his wife's body parts.

At least I don't have to worry about Ali eating them!

Samantha Sophia said...

Oh geez the kid ate the gall stones!

You may want to deactivate the facebook while working on your thesis, many a friend of mine ha to in order to focus and get it done!

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors