Monday, September 6, 2010

Out of the mouths of children

I picked Sean up from school on Thursday and was putting him in his car seat when a little girl sitting in the van next to me said “hi, my mom went back into the school and we are on our way to a funeral.” I said “oh that’s really sad, I am sorry.” She looked confused and said “it’s not sad, funerals are happy you go there to celebrate the good life someone lived.” Hm, nice perspective I thought, then she followed it up with “but we don’t get to eat cause we’re not family.”



Sean has picked up some not so great phrases at school like, “I’m going to punch your head off. I’m going to kill you. I’m going to beat you up.” Not things he’s learned at home. I was standing outside the door watching him play with Ethan (his school friend not the neighbor) and Elijah and Jacob. Ethan was being aggressive to Elijah and Sean would copy him. The teacher was reminding them to play nice and be friends. Sean said “I sorry, I be nice.” The teacher said “I know you will Sean” I could tell she was getting frustrated with Ethan because he kept doing it. I walked in and said to Teacher Maria “I see where Sean has picked up some of him aggressive vocabulary.” She asked what he was saying I told her and she said “yes, that’s Ethan.”


Teacher Maria then said “I hope he doesn’t pick up what Danielle said. Danielle is a very well behaved, darling little twin in the class. I have never heard her be mean or say anything unpleasant. “What did Danielle say” I asked? Maria said “at lunch all the boys were banging their lunch mats and yelling, feed me and Danielle said you boys are being obnoxious.” I said “that’s an appropriate use of the word.” And she said “I told her it’s a potty word and her twin said Daddy says it all the time. I told him we don’t say it at school.” I said “well it’s a big word for a 3-year-old but she used it appropriately.” Maria’s first language is Spanish and it’s a bilingual school so I need to see if obnoxious translates to something “potty” in Spanish. Personally I was impressed with Danielle’s vocabulary. I find Ethan’s aggressive vocabulary very obnoxious!



Earlier in the week Sean got injured at school. His description, “Kenna tried to eat me!” Translation, McKenna bit him on his finger. Maria said she asked Sean to hand her something and he reached his hand in front of McKenna’s face. When I got to school Sean was crying and had an ice pack on his hand and Kenna was in time out. It was all easily remedied with a Sponge Bob band aid and an ice cream from Dairy Queen. At Dairy Queen Sean announced to anyone who would listen “my teacher did not bite me!” Good to know!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors