Saturday, July 9, 2011

Happy 105th birthday Grandma

 Grandma died at 92 but it is the day of her birth so we will  remember and celebrate.
Grandma and my Grandfather Bill Warehime on their wedding day.

Grandpop Dolder, Uncle Ed, Aunt Marian and Grandma on Uncle Ed's wedding day. Outside the house on Hyde Park. I have fond memories of that house. There was a stream on the right side of the house that we used to like to play in and jump over. The bushes in her yard always reminded me of the plastic bushes that came in army toy sets. There was a little store down the street that we used to walk to. Pam and Lisa Brach lived down the street and we would go to their house sometimes. Grandma never learned to drive so she would take us downtown on the bus. That was always an adventure because it was the only time I ever rode the public bus as a child. We would go to the Woolworth's downtown. She would also take us to movies. I remember going to see Charlie Brown and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Grandma.

Mom (and it must be Lynn) Grandma and Aunt Marian on Grandma's front steps. We used to love to play on those steps too. It was a game to see how many of the steps you could jump down.  When I was 6 or 7 we were staying at Grandma's and mom and dad pulled up out front and they had bought a new station wagon. That was so exciting!! We all ran out yelling and jumping.

Grandma only finished 8th grade. She never finished high school or graduated from college but she was one of the most literate people I've ever known.  She was a gifted writer and spoke well. She would have loved to continue her education but she was the 11th of 13 children. There was a younger brother Henry who died as an infant and Lily who were born after Grandma. Grandma's mother died after Lily was born and there was not a lot of time or money for education. When we were kids and had to give talks at church mom would always tell us to go to Grandma. She wrote ALL our 2 1/2 minute talks growing up. When Grandma died I found a talk she had written about death. I used that talk for her funeral. I thought it was very nice of her to write that talk for me, it made it much easier to read her own words.

Grandma's hair turned white in her 30's. She never dyed it and was pure white my entire life. She had the brightest blue eyes. Quite a few of my nieces and nephews have those eyes. Jaclyn has them and so do her daughters.

We always got two Christmases as kids. First we had Christmas at our house then we went over to Grandma's house and had a second Christmas under her tree. Grandma worked nights as a telephone operator when I was a child. When we were sick and mom had to work sometimes Dad would drive over to Grandma's house and pick her up and she would come watch us. When I was 10 or 11 Grandma broke her arm. I spent the summer at her house. It was kind of boring but she bought be a set of Louisa May Alcott's  books. I loved to read and so did Grandma. My mom is a big reader too.


Another picture from Grandma's living room. Grandma's guest bedroom was the room right behind that couch. She had these two huge panda bear stuffed toys. I was so scared of one of them. It used to wake up at night and grin at me and it had metal teeth. OK, maybe that was a dream but I was scared of toy. Grandma's house smelled like Downy fabric softener.

Grandma and Aunt Lily at the Grand Canyon. Grandma didn't let age slow here down. In her 80's she took a train ride across the country because she wanted to. Lily and Grandma were the last two surviving of their siblings. Lily came to visit on Grandma's 90th birthday.

Grandma dressed up as Mrs Claus at Christmas. It really wasn't a stretch because she looked just like Mrs. Claus.

Grandma went to work at the Washington D.C. temple. What was supposed to be a 2 year calling turned into 13 years. She really wanted to die in the temple and would have been very happy if that had happened but she outlived her temple calling.

I think this is an Easter picture.


Grandma with Great grandchildren, Stephanie, Alex and Andrea and Mom and Dad's house on Chapel Hill Road.


More great grandchildren, Alex, Carter, Shari, Stephanie and Autumn.

Grandma's 90 birthday. Lily came out for her party.
One final note about my Grandmother. She LOVED food! She would write me 13 page letters when she was at the temple and I was in college. 11 of those 13 pages would be describing what she ate at a buffet. I can't think about Grandma without thinking about food.
Happy Birthday Grandma.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

I enjoyed reading every word of that post. Thank you for sharing those special memories of Grandma with us. I loved the pictures, I hadn't seen most of them. I wish Dan could have meet Grandma before she passed away. I'm already looking forward to seeing her again some day.

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors