Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Silly, Kind and helpful


Sean and Jake playing Wii. We've corrupted neighbor Jake. He'd never played a video or computer game until he started coming to our house. His mom had surgery and was in the hospital for a week and is still recovering so Jake has spent a lot of time at our house. I think the kid could stand to have his horizons broadened. He suffers from a lack of exposure to other children. He is so far behind at school, he can't read, he can't color. He is always the last one to get done wit his work. He is always kept in from recess. Don discovered Jake has something going on with his hands that interferes with his ability to use scissors. I told his teacher and she had PT do an assessment. They said, it's just deprivation. I don't by that. Granted he is the only child of a 50 year old mom and 60+ year old dad but it's not like they don't read to him or spend time with him. They've sheltered him and he hasn't been around a lot of kids his age but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to hold a pair of scissors. There is something else going on with that kid. His parents are socially awkward so it may be a he's a strange kid because his parents are strange. I'm not sure. His mom had him at 45 and he is her one and only child. Still, it's not like they abuse or neglect the kids. The other day Jake said "I have to play at your house because my mom is sick and my dad has to get a new hearing aid." Ah, the words of children of old parents.  He told Sean he couldn't wear his glasses at the dinner table. That one made me laugh.

Friday and Saturday were the annual bison round up at Antelope Island. Horse back riders gather up all the bison into corrals. Bison are tagged, get their shots and at the first of November they will auction off about 250 of them to keep the herd at 500. We counted 17 bison wandering around the island. I guess they weren't done rounding them up.

Checking out the buffalo. Sean said they were boring.

We went to the far side of the island to play on the farm for a bit.
 
 





Sean wanted to dress up like the Be-do minion from Despicable Me. We hot glued some cups on a head band from the dollar store and made a megaphone. Sean wore them all day and was still wearing them at bedtime. I was laying on his bed and he was sitting on the end of the bed with the cups on his head and I had to smile. I said Sean "I'm going to miss this when you are a teenager." He said "miss what?" I said "miss you being silly and wearing cups on you head. He said "I will still be silly when I am a teenager. I'm silly, kind, helpful and respectful, it's who I am." That's an excellent creed to live by.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors