Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Oh the guilt

Sean spent the night with his sisters the weekend before school started. He was so excited! They went on a hike, they slept in a tent in the back yard, he had a great time. On the drive home he said "you stole me from Jennie." I said "tell me more." He said "I don't have anything else to tell." I told him how he came to live with us and that Jennie left him with us we didn't take him.  I explained that the judge said they couldn't live with Jennie because she made really bad choices and went to jail. It's hard to know how much detail to go in with a six year old. Jennie and Ryan had so many chances to get their act together but they didn't do it. I felt bad because I know Sean was repeating what Kylie said and Kylie was repeating what Jennie said. When I talked to Lanette she said Kylie is having a really tough time and tells her all the time that "you stole me from my mother." One more reason why the kids seeing Jennie is not good for their mental health. Jennie is pregnant with twins. She is posting on Facebook how excited she is. Crazy, poor replacement babies! Maybe she will do better with babies six and seven then she did with the first five. 

The guilt came with the second part of our conversation. Sean asked (again) why I didn't adopt Kylie and Brie and talked about how much fun it would be if they all lived together. I told him it would be fun but his dad and I just didn't feel like we could take care of all three of them. He said "yes you could have." It's hard to explain that taking on three kids was just not something we chose to do. We loved all three of them but just couldn't adopt all three of them. It's easy to travel and take care of one child but three would have totally changed our lives. A change we weren't willing to make. I don't know that Sean and the girls will ever understand.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors