Monday, September 8, 2014

World of Speed

It was time for the World of Speed at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Don's goal was to break 130 mph. He did three runs and his max was 126 mph. That was the same max he made two years ago. It would appear that is as fast as his Lincoln will go. Outside the window you can see all the water pooled on the flats.

  We had to drive through about two miles of water before it dried out. The track was dry. Alika came with us. She has to write a paper for her geology class and thought the Salt Flats would make a great paper.

Salt pedicure.

My engine was full of salt. My entire car was full of salt.

It took me three years to figure out everything I needed to spend a comfortable day at the tracks. This year I got it right. Awning, tarp, pads, pillows, sunscreen, chairs, cooler full of ice and drinks, snacks. We were ready! This was a really strange year at the races. Don was seventh in line to race when a motorcycle crashed. We had to wait almost three hours for an ambulance from Salt Lake City. Not sure why they didn't have more ambulances lined up. He was third in line when a car on the long track that was trying to go 400 mph fell apart on the track. They took that driver away in an ambulance so we had to wait for another ambulance. They didn't mention either of the crashes in the paper so I'm assuming the drivers were OK. They said the motorcycle driver was talking when they loaded her in the ambulance.

Sean and Alika hanging out.


Sean and I made a salt ma with ibuprofen arms and a Chapstick  Sean wanted to find a way to take him home. I told him the best we could do was take a picture. Sean did bring home three bottles of salt. I'm not sure what he plans to do with it.

Mr. Salt Man.

Sean giving his dad some last minute advice, "go fast and don't crash!"


Dang I'm fat. Sean made an avatar of me the other day. He said "I made it fat cause your fat." Ha ha, good thing he told me.

I found the patriotic Pinto amusing. It had a roll bar so it went over 150 which is pretty amazing.

Second run

This picture doesn't do justice for how dirty my car was.


We ate three times at the Salt Flat café. Decent place near the flats. There are not many food options in Wendover.  The café and the sit down Pizza hut.

Me and my boy.

Sunrise on the Salt Flats.
Sunset on the Salt Flats. The flats are an amazing phenomenon.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors