Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Birthday boy

Sean is 7. I can't believe that he is so big, so fast. He was so excited when he got a Wii U for his birthday. The night before his birthday I was laying down in his bed and he said "It's OK if I don't get a Wii U for my birthday. I can just imagine playing one in my mind." So cute. He's been asking for the Wii U for almost a year. I was surprised that he was surprised when he opened it. He told me all he needs for Christmas is a stuffed toy and a trip to England.

There are so many kids at DIA (the school where Steph teaches and I work a couple hours a week as a nurse) that live such tough lives. There are three families living at the shelter. I've got a little girl with diabetes who missed more school than she attends. She is always sick at school with blood sugars above 300. There are kids who are missing weeks of school because of lice. A lot of kids are gone more than they are there. There are sixth and seventh graders reading at a first grade level. I can't help but look at Sean and think that would be him and his sisters if they hadn't been adopted. Sean got all 3's on his report card with the exception of one 2.75. When I asked what he missed the teacher said he couldn't say parallelogram and octagon in Chinese. His test scores were almost all perfect. He does so well in school. His Chinese is amazing. Yesterday he woke up and the first thing he said to me was in Chinese. I was laying next to me and he opened his eyes and asked me in Chinese what my favorite color was. I don't know if he was dreaming in Chinese or what.

Khloe thought the singing was all about her. She kept blowing the candles out while I was lighting them. After Sean blew them out we re-lit them for Khloe but she got shy and wouldn't blow them out. Silly kid.

For his birthday dinner Sean wanted his favorite meal of salmon cakes and potatoes.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors