Monday, February 17, 2020

CASA kid


I decided in October I wanted to be a Court Appointed Special Advocate for foster kids. I took the 6 weeks of training and in November I was assigned a 7 year old. I've been to two court hearings for him, a ton of meetings and met with his teachers. Sunday was my third month as this kiddos CASA. I've been visiting him at his home but I decided to take him out of the house this visit.  I was a little hesitant as I’ve been told how volatile his behavior can be. He's torn up his classroom at school. When I met his teacher she told me in 30 years of teaching she's never seen such destruction. A couple of months ago he was out with a foster worker and went crazy at a Barnes and Noble and they had to call the police.  My visits with him he's been totally well behaved but I know the potential is there.
His parental rights were terminated years ago and they are working on transitioning him into a really great adoptive family. He's been meeting with the new family for three weeks. They are just perfect for him. The dad is a special ed teacher, the mom is native American like him.
When I picked him up his foster mom gave me medication for “If he gets out of control.” That made me a little nervous. I gave him a choice of the trampoline park or a movie, he chose Sonic the Hedgehog.
He had no trouble leaving his home with me. He had so little trouble that it was a little troubling. I think if a stranger came up to him and offered him candy and told them they would take him somewhere he would jump in the car.
He was excited about seeing a movie and wanted popcorn and a drink. When we got to the theater he wanted everything. I was worried how he would handle the word “no." I told him we are getting popcorn and a drink and that’s it and he was fine. He did keep slurping his Slurpee really loud and at one point I took it from him until he told me he'd stop making the noise. He took that OK too.  He talked about the movies he wanted to see through the 30 minutes of previews. He was interactive throughout the movie. Mostly wanting to know if I was going to take him to more movies.
As soon as the movie was almost over he started telling me not to take him home and presenting all sorts of options for other things we should do. He has a really funny sense of humor. He would hand me pop corn and then say “I licked it.” When we pulled in his drive way I asked whose truck was parked there and he said “Mikes or maybe it is some stranger who came to our house and won’t leave but we don’t know who he is.” My goal for the day was to get him to remember my name. I asked him when I picked him up if he knew my name and he said no. I told him again. When we got back to his house I asked if he knew my name and he said no then he turned around and said “bye Carl.” 
I chose to be a CASA in big part because I miss Khloe and Vally. Sitting at a movie I didn't want to see with a little boy did make my heart warm:)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors