Saturday, September 30, 2023

4 out of 6 siblings

I honestly did not think I would ever see Lynn alive again. I had not seen him since the very beginning of COVID, before the lock down. He doesn't answer his phone or respond to text and I'm not comfortable calling Wendy to ask to speak to him. We went to Brad and Teresa's mission homecoming and Lynn and Wendy were there. I was shocked. Lynn looked old and confused but they disappeared after the service before I could catch them. I literally ran out in the parking lot screaming his name but they were getting in the car and zoom they were gone. I was really sad. 

Fast forward the following week and Marjie and Cary came to visit. Cary had a WWE show at the Delta Center that he had to cover. I texted Brad and Teresa about coming for dinner and then thought what the hell, I'll ask Wendy. I sent Wendy a text and said that Marjie was going to be in town and the she had Alzheimer's and I would like to have all of us who are here get together. I was shocked when she responded with "what can we bring?"

When Lynn and Marjie looked at each other with that lost Alzheimer's look, so much sorrow in their eyes and they hugged a really long hug. Just writing about it is making me cry. I think I cried the entire weekend.

We had such a fabulous visit. If I don't get Alzheimer's I'll always treasure it. I made Lynn dodaddles and chocolate cake with seafoam frosting and it made him really happy. He asked if it was his birthday. We sat around talking until 11 at night. Some stories were funny and some were just tragic. If someone asked me I would say I had a good childhood but when we started talking I realized just how screwed up it was. All the beatings, living in a house with bathroom tiles, kids making fun of us. Brad told a story about a dog we had named Richard. There was also a kid across the street in the trailer park named Richard. Human Richard came over to the house and told Brad in front of dad that Richard was getting in his garbage can and his dad was mad. Dad made Brad go out in the back yard and did a hole then get the dog on a rope and dad shot the dog then Brad had to bury it. Honestly, what the heck kind of messed up childhood is that. I know I had to have heard that story before and buried it in my brain somewhere because it's so awful. And we just sat around talking about all this basically messed up trauma. I can't believe we turned out normal. I know mom and dad did the best they could but that's some messed up childrearing.


 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors