Saturday, March 17, 2012

Our Week in a minute or 2

I'll start with an update of the continuing saga of Sean's birth parents.

Ryan is in a "new relationship." That is not surprising but what is surprising is who the relationship is with. The girls last name is "Shurtleff." Sound familiar? Yep, one in the same, Ryan is now involved with the state of Utah Attorney Generals daughter. Kind of funny. He's traded up. He found a new woman to support him. And this one has a car with insurance and all kinds of things cause daddy supplies them. I'm sure your asking "how can this be?" If you look up his daughter on the Internet she was adopted as a heroin baby and has fetal alcohol syndrome and has been in and out of rehab since she was 13. She's a train wreck too but with better connections than Jenny. So, if Ryan gets her pregnant it's the Shurtleff's problem:)

I met Ryan at the jail on Wed to visit Jenny. He got a ride from his new squeeze. When he got out of her car and met me he said "that's my new friend and her dad is attorney general." (Lucky for me I'd already figured that out from Facebook so I wasn't surprised.) I just asked, "does her dad know your dating her?" He said "yes, Mark and I hung out last night." Nice. I gotta respect a woman that goes with her boyfriend for his final DCFS visit and then takes him to visit his wife in the slammer. I don't know what it is about Ryan that gets such devotion from women.

Ryan and I were sitting in the jail waiting room talking and I told him Jenny was balking at signing custody of Sean over and that I was going to tell her she had to, He said he tried to tell her that the state wasn't going to take two of her kids and let her keep one.  He asked me not to mention his "friend." Ryan really looked happy. I don't think I've ever seen him look so happy. I even told him that and he just said "I had a really good day." We went back to see Jenny together. I only stayed 15 minutes so they could have some time alone. Jenny was pretty low. I told her she had to sign Sean over and she started crying that neither of us knew what it was like to sign her girls away and then have to come back to the jail alone. I told her she was right I didn't know what that felt like. She is also upset because she's going to be homeless when she gets out of jail and she's lost everything. I told her I'd put her in a hostel for a month when she gets out so she has time to figure out what her next step is. I told her she was being served termination papers for Sean soon. She said "I didn't say I wasn't going to sign I just said I needed some time."

She really seems broken. I've seen her broken before but she's really dug herself a hole this time and I don't know how she's going to crawl out of it. If Ryan really moves on she will be alone. She has a rotten tooth that has been causing her pain for months. I put some money on her jail account so she can get it pulled next week. She might as well make the best use of her jail time.

The jail certainly doesn't make visiting comfortable. You have to be checked in 45 minutes before the visit. There's a line to check in which means you have to be there an hour before the visit. If you check in one minute late then you are bumped to the next visit so you wait an hour and 45 minutes. You sit in an ugly room on benches with no backs. The only thing I can figure is they want you to sit in the lobby and think about why you are visiting someone in jail. If you are a parent of an adult child it's time to reflect on what you did wrong as a parent. If you have a spouse there, you can reflect on bad decisions and if you're there to visit a friend then you can reflect on why you choose friends who end up in jail. And, if you keep going back to visit then you haven't learned anything so they must think you need more time to reflect on who you associate with:)

And on to our Saturday adventure
We took the Frontrunner to the train museum in Ogden but on the way we stopped to visit with a couple of horses. They were very friendly.

Yes, we brought Ethan along. He'd never been to the train museum. His parents were busy painting their house. With another baby on the way they want to move to a bigger house. GASP! What, they can't move and take Sean's BFF! They want to buy a house in Kaysville. First they have to sell the one their in. Not that I don't want them to have what they want but we sure would miss them. besides Ethan doesn't need a room he spends most of his time at our house:)

I got a new cell phone, an android. It takes pretty cool pictures. It is an awesome phone. I can do all kinds of stuff that I couldn't do before.

Ethan in constant motion and sound. That is one loud child! People on the Frontrunner were happy when we got off the train.

We had lunch at Union Station. They have excellent food. Even their kids meals are good. They come with a beautiful fruit side instead of fries.


Self portrait with cell phone, that was a feat!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors