Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Chickens, chickens, chickens

Who knew chickens were so amusing. We sit outside and watch the chickens, we call it chicken TV. A couple of weeks ago I started putting the babies outside for a couple of hours each day. On afternoon I went outside and there was only one chicken. I found another under the fence and pulled it out. There was a 3rd one in the neighbors yard behind us. I drover over and met a backyard neighbor I didn't know and rescued a chicken. I found two more in a bush. One was permanently lost. Sean was really sad. I told Sean, Ethan and Andrew to go hang up a missing chicken poster at Chick-Fil-A.

We had a coop on order at the Tractor Store. Don went and picked it up in the truck.




We put the warmer light out in the coop and sent the babies outside to live. After one of them flew out of the box onto my dining room table it was time for them to move outside.

We wanted chickens that were laying or about to lay. I found an ad on KSL for a guy in Clinton. He had about 100 chickens in a really hot stinky coop. Imagine 100 chickens in a coop and that's the smell. We bought three chickens. They smelled like their coop so when we got them home I gave them all a bath in a bucket. They were surprisingly calm.

The guy I bought them from said they were "about" to lay. About an hour after we got home Don said "what's that chicken doing over there?" I went and looked and it had laid an egg. We then had to run around the yard chasing the chickens so we could put them in the coop so they would know where to lay eggs.

We named this chicken Trump. Sean named it Henrietta after the Hoboken Chicken. I call it Trump because it was rude to the brown and black chicken and kept sticking it's head under their legs. Don thought it might be a rooster but the next day it laid a really pretty blue/green egg.

The first egg, laid behind the hose box.

We been getting two or three eggs a day. We are going to have to sell a couple of our babies when they get bigger because we don't need 8 eggs a day.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors