Friday, June 24, 2011

A funny thing

There was an article in the paper today with a headline about a high profile murder case in St George. I knew when I read the headline that there was bound to be a quote by my ex-husband in it. Seeing how he's the only attorney in St George who represents death row murder cases. Sure enough the entire article was quotes from my ex. I found an irony in my having an article about tap dancing grannies and one of my ex's murderous clients in the same issue of the SL Tribune. The article was about him asking for a gag order for everyone involved in the case and barring media from reporting on it. Apparently his client is being charged with two counts of murder but according to my ex husband his client was just trying to be helpful and had the misfortune of being found holding a gun standing over two dead bodies in his apartment.
 
I don't care what my ex is doing I just found it insightful and it made me introspective. Aric was not supportive over AJ and Stephs decision to get married. In fact he was a jerk to Steph. AJ was really hurt. He said he couldn't understand how his dad who believes all his criminal clients could not believe that Steph was marrying him because she loved him but rather chose to believe he was marrying him to get citizenship. I can see how that would be hurtful.

This got me thinking about Aric and our marriage. I was so distraught when left me after 15 years of marriage that I had friends who had to come pick me up off the floor. I just did not see that I had any worth as a single person, single mom, single anything. I felt my entire life was intertwined with Aric's and could not imagine being a separate entity. In retrospect I can't even imagine why I felt like that but I did. My life got better after he left. Not immediately but with time it really improved. So much so that I can't imagine if he had not left me. Would I still be married to someone who didn't even like me, thinking my only value was what my husband thought of me.

AJ's wedding was also funny from the perspective of my ex. He showed up with his girlfriend who looked like a $50 an hour hooker. It annoyed by sons. I was actually embarrassed for him because I didn't think he had the good sense to be embarrassed for himself. I don't begrudge my first marriage nor would I change it. I got three great kids and I grew up but dang I'm glad it's in my past! Life is sometimes a funny thing!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors