Sunday, August 4, 2013

The rest of our weekend

 
We took a five mile bike ride around Farmington trail. We ended up at the campground store where we stopped for a treat. We stopped and looked at the buffalo and deer that live at Lagoon.

Went to Farmington Pond for a few minutes. Kylie waded in the water. Brie and Sean wanted no part of that nasty water. I can't say that I blamed them.

The kids played in the hot tub at home, painted rocks, played house, made a mess of my house and we went to the rec center to swim. Kylie is an excellent swimmer. Sean and Brie, not so much.

The kids went non stop the entire weekend.

A strange thing happened at the mall. We were waiting to get a Chick Fil A. There was a family of Indian's next to us. (India Indian's) I don't know who started it but all three of the kids were saying "WE DON'T LIKE BROWN PEOPLE!" I thought I must have misheard but they continued to discuss their dislike of brown people. The brown people were staring at them with their mouths open. I reminded Kylie and Brie that they their brother and sister Luke and Stephanie are brown and they said "oh yeah." I reminded them Ryder and Holland's new baby was brown. I asked if they disliked any of those brown people. They were kind of sheepish and said no. Kylie then said "mom, is brown" (referring to Jennie as Lanette is not brown). I may have over reacted, I just couldn't believe they were talking that way. It really bothered me. I told them when they talked that way they made people sad and that skin color is not a reason to dislike someone. I don't know where that came from.  I think they thought they were being silly and didn't realize they were being hurtful to others. I didn't say anything to the brown family that was standing next to us. I know they heard. They came over and sat next to us. Either they didn't hold a grudge or they wanted to hear what other bigoted comments the rude half white children would make. There's a little boy at Sean's school, Vance. The girls call him "fragile." He likes to wear dresses and play with Barbie's. He's seven so I think it's beyond a phase, he truly feels like he should be a girl. Some of the kids are unkind to him. Sean just ignores him. I don't expect Sean to have to play with him if they have nothing in common but I expect him to be respectful.  I really want him to be tolerant. I was watching Vance run around in his light up flowered flip flops, carrying his Barbie and I feel for him and his parents, that's a hard road.
Saturday night we took the Front runner to American Fork and met Lanette at the train station. It didn't give the kids much time for a goodbye because we had to push them off the train to Lanette and keep going or we would have had to wait an hour at the train station for the train home. We had Subway on the train. The kids talked a lot about Jennie. Where is she? I told them I didn't know but she was safe. Kylie said she missed her and sometimes she was happy she is adopted but sometimes she is sad. Brie said "I'm just happy." Kylie told me she lived with Jennie the longest. That is true she did. On the way home after the girls had gotten off the train Sean told me he wished they could all live together and I said I know how much you love your sisters. He then asked why I didn't adopt all of them. I told him I didn't feel like I could adopt three kids at the same time and he had lived with us since he was a baby and we couldn't let him go to another family because he was already ours. It's hard to explain, in part because I feel guilty that I couldn't adopt the girls. After a couple of days with all three of them I am reminded that I would have had a really hard time with all three of them. I like our quiet house with one little boy.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors