Saturday, June 30, 2018

Walking down memory lane

Before the funeral Lynn and I went exploring  the land where we grew up. This is what's left of the drive way, the connection to the road.

A couple of cinder blocks is all that's left of the house. We couldn't find any parts of the old trailer that was in the back yard. The stream was still there, it's wider.





That's the foundation of the shed. That's the only way I had any sort of direction. The house would have been to the right and the trailer behind. My entire childhood is tree, weeds, and poison ivy. There was poison ivy and oak everywhere and I was trekking around in a dress.

Yep, that's where I spent the first 18 years of my life.




After the cemetery we drove over to the church on the corner of Green and Watts. I could actually find my way to the church from the cemetery. Once I'm at the church I can actually figure out how to get to my old house, school and friends. The church doesn't even look like the doors have been painted. The bushes are so big. So much of my childhood centered around this building. My friends, my family, my relationships, I got blessed as an infant in this church, I was baptized here, I went to kindergarten here, threw up in the hallways, had my first wedding reception here, Carter was blessed here. When we were kids, me, Art, Suzanne and the Condies' would ride our bikes from home to the church.



The window on the left has a metal awning on it. We used to climb up on the awning and climb in the window above it and get into the kitchen.  


Sometimes we'd get in through this window too. This is the play yard where I went to preschool. Of course all the toys are different. There used to be a swing set and a little painted wooden boat.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors