Sunday, July 26, 2020

Carter's house getting a needed update

The tile in Carter's kitchen and bathroom was really bad. I think it was original so it was 47 years old. I had someone come out and professionally clean it but it didn't help. It was mildewed and just nasty. Sadie has also peed on the carpet in the dining area so his house smelled bad again. I had Home Depot come out and put in new floor in the kitchen, take out the carpet in the dining area and replace it with laminate floor. I also got him a new dishwasher. His broke a couple of weeks ago. He doesn't cook so it just a couple bowls and cups. I didn't know until we were there that he had no hot water in his kitchen. Somehow it was just turned off. We got all the batteries replaced in his smoke detectors. I took all the shelves out of his fridge that would fit in his dishwasher to clean the ketchup off. I really worry about what happens to Carter when Aric and I are both dead. Who is going to go in his house every six months and make sure it's OK. He's oblivious to things like smoke detectors, running toilets, dripping faucets. If it's something that he can't work around he will tell us but otherwise he just lives with it.

Home Depot was going to charge us some ridiculous amount to pull up the old floor. They don't know how strong Carter is and how fast he can rip up a floor. He had it done in no time.

It looks so good and his house smells so much better.

I had them replace his toilet because it was running all the time and he had to pull the chain to get it to flush and it was probably 47 years old as well.

We got everything put back together today and I helped him clean for awhile. I cleaned up his stove and put new foil on it but Don didn't reconnect it because in the 18 years Carter has lived there he has never turned it on. His house just looks so great! I should have done it years ago. Now the whole place needs painted but I don't think Carter can handle the stress. Maybe I'll get that done next year. He is really happy with the outcome but having his fridge in his living room and no floor for 4 days and then strangers in his house was really stressful for him. Maybe when his dad takes him on a trip for a week I'll arrange for a painter to come. He keeps his house vacuumed and dishes and laundry done but I'm thinking about having my housekeeper go in there once every six months to clean the windows, fridge and do some deep cleaning. He's pretty neat so it doesn't have to be often.
They cut down a huge tree at Cedar Springs.

It's right by the playground where the kids used to play. We were sitting out there and I could just remember Alex and Bradly climbing on the monkey bars.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors