Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kumbaya my fish, kumbaya

One or two years ago Don bought a little Koi at PetCo. I thought it was an ugly little fish but Don liked its sparkly scales. The little fish grew and grew and became an ugly big fish. It reminded me of the children’s book “A fish out of water.” I thought I was going to have to move him to the bath tub. I planned to move him to my friend’s pond in July when the weather was warm.

I noticed about two nights ago that the fish which was probably eight inches long had grown even more. Soon it wasn’t going to be able to turn around in the tank. In retrospect it was probably a little fishy bowel obstruction from all the shrimp it was being fed.

Last night I got home from work at 10:30 and noticed Mr. Fish floating on his side, gasping. Not a good fish sign. I went upstairs and told Don his fish was in distress. A little while later AJ came upstairs and announced that Carpy the fish had passed away at 11:07. Now that’s a problem! You can’t flush a fish that’s big enough to filet.

Don still thinking of his trees took the fish outside and we had a midnight burial next to one of the Holly trees. I sang Kumbaya my fish and held a flashlight while Don dug a hole. None of the kids attended. They were all sleeping except for AJ who was too busy playing a computer game. Now we will see if the tree with the fish buried next to it grows faster than the rest of the trees.
Removing Mr Fish from the tank

Planting Mr. Fish

1 comment:

Standinginhislight said...

lol, seems awful and funny all at the same time. =) Hope our turtle never dies....

~Sheri

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors