Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My favorite brick

This is a picture of what used to be my favorite brick. (I got it when they tore down the East Wing of the old Holy Cross Hospital. As far as I know it's still in the NICU where I left it.). Now I have a new favorite brick but I have no idea where it is located. According to the judge it is somewhere in the vicinity of 6th South.

I don’t know where to start so I’ll just go straight for the part I found amusing.


At Jenny’s request I went to her arraignment this morning. I had never been to an arraignment so why not? Her sister Sabrina came and her DCFS case worker was there. I thought they would bring Jenny from the jail and I would see her. (I think she thought so as well) She was broadcast to the courtroom from the jail via television. The DCFS worker, bless her heart sees Jenny as a lost soul and a victim. I see her as a manipulative soul and her children as victims. This is not to say that I do not still feel a sense of compassion for Jenny because I do but I know that she takes the cake when it comes to playing on peoples sympathy and emotions. I am in fact, case in point.

Jenny comes on the screen and says she can’t afford an attorney and the judge says one will be appointed and sets a court date. Jenny then says she already has a hearing for other charges that date. They judge says one is in the morning and one is in the afternoon so it’s ok. At this point the case worker is allowed to speak on Jenny’s behalf. She says that Jenny has been a victim of domestic violence for three years and that DCFS and the state do not feel having her “sit in jail” serves a purpose. The judge says “well, I think someone else from the state sitting right there (she points to the prosecuting attorney) would disagree. Being a victim of domestic violence doesn’t make it ok to hit someone in the head with a brick.” This made me chuckle because I had not heard any of the details of the incident. Jenny then tells the judge that she only said she hit him in the head with a brick because she was drunk but that Ryan said she didn’t really hit him in the head with a brick. Wow, that’s classic Jenny. The judge then says “whether your husband says you hit him with a brick or not does not matter. There is a witness who is not related to you and he says you did him with a brick.” Wow, that’s classic Judge. I am left to ponder the brick. What kind was it? Was it an entire brick or part of a brick? On Ryan's mug shot he had a new gash on his forehead so obviously it was a hard brick. Harder than his head at any rate.

Maybe it really wasn't funny but it sure seemed so at the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about the brick myself. Where did she get it? Why were there bricks just laying around? Were they in a construction zone? Or was the bar they were at just crumbling and falling apart? Oh, where are the details when we need them!

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors