Saturday, September 5, 2020

Try again tomorrow

I talked to Beth yesterday. We mostly talked about her husband drowning. It's just so damn sad and it was so preventable. He was doing his second rescue of the day. He hadn't even changed his wet clothes from the first one. The SGI first responder's don't have life jackets or any flotation devices. It's a blasted island. How is that even possible. It's changing now after they lost a firefighter. She is really angry and trying to figure out how to best utilize that anger. It is just so heartbreaking. 

She told me a nest was going to hatch that night. It had been messed with by coyotes but there were still eggs in in it. I walked down twice to check it out. The last time was at midnight. There were crabs popping up out of holes in the nest so I thought maybe the crabs ate the turtles.  This morning the nest was gone and there were turtle tracks. Beth said it hatched after 10:30 I think it had to hatch after midnight because that's when I last walked down there. She said there's another one expected tonight. I'm debating if I want to go fight the mosquitoes to check it out.

                                                               All the little turtle tracks.






We went to Appalachicola for an airboat ride. We were only out for a few minutes when it started to lightening. We will try that again tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.



 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors