Friday, October 29, 2010

History parade

 In what I think is an attempt to be politically correct Sean's school doesn't have a Halloween party they have a history fair and parade where all the kids dress up in costumes. The little ones all dressed in mid evil outfits (including one dragon). The bigger kids had assignments and gave a presentation on who they were dressed up as. Florence Nightingale, Christopher Columbus and Amelia Earhart were there to name a few. It was fun to watch the kids talk in front of a group. Some did well others were painfully shy. There is little girl in the school who was adopted from Haiti. She was dressed like Cleopatra and was stunning. I should have gotten a picture of her. After the presentations we did a walk through the neighborhood. It was a long walk. Especially for princesses wearing barbie dress up shoes.
 It was quite a walk. We stopped by a care center and said hello to the people who lived there.

 We were walking by the bank and were invited in for a treat. I was hoping they would hand out money but no, they just gave the kids candy. We then made our way up to Inkleys. I thought Marta was insane taking all those kids into the a photography shop until I discovered her reason. Inkley was doing free kids Halloween photos so each of their kids had their portrait taken. Sean was not having it. I bribed him with some candy but he still made a grumpy face. I can't wait to see that picture.
 We stopped by the post office in an attempt to get a picture of the kids. We might have succeeded had the water fountain (obviously turned off) not been home to a bunch of bees. The bees weren't overly fond of the visitors. Quite a few of the children were armed with swords so it was a fair fight.
 We made it back to the school and had lunch and root beer. Don and I had set the root beer up before the walk so all we had to do was add more dry ice for show and it was ready to go.


I like Sean's school for a couple of reasons. It's preschool through sixth grade. There are only 48 kids in the school. I really enjoy the interaction between all the age groups. There is another Sean there. He told me yesterday. "I am big Sean. I used to be little Sean then I was just Sean and now that there's a little Sean so I am big Sean." The girls love to "take care" of the little ones. I was walking next to a nine year old and she told me she has been at the school since she was three. I was trying to decide if I thought she was academically superior to the public school kids. I don't really think so but her Spanish was good.

2 comments:

Standinginhislight said...

I think that is brilliant. Fun and educational at the same time. We don't celebrate Halloween, our own family conviction, so when my kids were in school, we would just skip the 'party' day. It never bothered us much, lol. What about the poor kids (We hear this, lol)? They LOVED getting a day of fun at home, thus we eventually switched to homeschool. It works for us. =)
love the pictures,
~Sheri

hope2adoptbaby said...

Looks really fun! Thanks for sending the invite to your blog...its good entertainment sometimes! Hope all is well...
Shelby

p.s. where does Sean go to school?

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors