Sunday, December 16, 2012

Hand writing, blankets and cousins

Sean has the best handwriting for a barely five year old. He's almost obsessive about it. It has to be perfect or he keeps erasing. They do a page of handwriting every day at school.The teacher told him he can't erase he just has to do it. He's also doing well with reading. He totally uses phonics. He knows his letters but when he is reading it's almost like he doesn't see letters he sees sounds. When you ask him how to spell something he just says the sounds of the letters. I don't think I learned that way I just remember memorizing words.

He's pretty good at reading three letter words. We haven't gotten much further than that though the other day he did read a five letter word by sounding it out.

I've been sewing blankets like a crazy woman as of late. I have ten blankets stacked up in my sewing room. I turned one of the empty bedrooms into a sewing room. A couple of weeks ago Tyson was over and his blanket had a huge split in it that I sewed up. Saturday when he came over it had split in another place. The poor blanket is falling apart, it is well loved. Kind of like Sean's, it needs constant patching. Tyson is much more interested in the front of his blanket because he likes the ties.  I asked him if I could replace the entire back of his blanket because that is what keeps tearing and he said yes. I gave him some fabric to choose from him and he chose penguins. I tried to convince him he wanted white or blue but he was adamant about the penguins. Penguins it was. It didn't affect the ties so he seemed happy. I asked him if he wanted me to tie the back of his blanket and he said no the penguins were already wearing ties.

Tyson sitting on his repaired blanket. Jackson saw me fixing Tyson's blanket and asked me to fix his. We added a blue back to his. I had to cut off one of the edges and he found it in the trash can. Eeks, how could I do that. I offered to sew it on the blanket but he just wrapped it around his head. Silly boy.

Sean, Jackson, Jameson and Tyson playing Wii. Sean LOVED having them play with him. He got to all sorts of levels he had never been to and learned lots of tricks. I love those boys but they are exhausting I don't know how Catherine keeps up with them. Sometimes I have fantasies about adopting an orphan from over seas and then I have other kids over and realize how much I like just having one child with two adults. It's so easy! There is no one for him to fight with. less mess, less noise. It's just very peaceful and I love it. I had five kids at home at once, it was fun, it was chaos. I survived the mess, the noise. I understand why people choose to have one child. It's easy! Sean loves to have his cousins play and friends play but I think he likes his quiet worlds too. He gets the best of both, lots of people to play with but then they go home and he has his own space. Because all my other kids are grown I will soon have grandchildren. Autumn had her baby on Saturday, Lennox. That gives Art six grandchildren. Wow!

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors