Saturday, December 26, 2015

Lousy

We had a big snow storm! We've had a couple of decent snow storms this year.

Sean had been complaining of an itchy head for a couple of weeks. When he was going to sleep he would ask me to scratch his head. One night I even got him out of bed and washed his hair. I used a flashlight and put on glasses convinced he had lice but I couldn't find any. Flash forward a month. The night of the big snowstorm Sean was getting ready for bed and he was complaining that his head really itched. He had scabs at the base of his neck. I knew he had to have lice. He has soooo much hair. I got a flashlight, put on two pairs of glasses and started searching. I could see the bites. It took me awhile and I found nits around his neck and ears. Finally, I found some lice. It was late and it was snowing so I dumped a bottle of Avocado oil on his head and he went to sleep.

The oil slowed those suckers down so I could catch them.

I used some lice shampoo made of sodium and eucalyptus, then I blew his hair dry and used a flat iron. Sean really didn't want a hair cut so he tolerated a lot of nit picking. I picked for two hours. I found it rather therapeutic. There were so many lice that when I would comb they would land in my hand. Poor kid, no wonder he'd been itching. He has so much hair. The lice must have been in paradise. Neither Don or I had any. I guess they were so happy in Sean's head they didn't see any reason to go anywhere else. That boy has a lot of hair!


All those dryers were full of our clothes. I decided to take everything to the laundromat and get it done all at once. It took about 2 hours and cost fifty bucks but I got it all done. There was another one of Sean's classmates mom there. Her kids had barfed all night.

All and all I didn't find the lice experience too horrible. It took all day to get everything washed and Sean's head clean but not much work after that. After seeing that salt was the main ingredient in the shampoo and leave in treatment I just mixed up a cup of salt and a gallon of water. Every night after I washed his hair I dumped salt water in his hair and blew it dry. Those nits turned into nit raisins. I took Sean to get his hair trimmed. I was worried the lady would say "he's got lice" but she didn't say anything. I looked again last night and found a couple of dried nits and that was it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors