Friday, May 27, 2011

Tired

It's only 8:00 but I'm headed for bed. I am exhausted!

Sean had a mostly good day. We woke up at 8:30, totally slept through the night. I woke up because I was soaked and smelled like pee. That IV did a number on Sean through the night. My friend Claire brought me lunch on her way to work this morning so I met her in front of the hospital at 8:40. I came right back up and Sean was still asleep. The nurse was getting ready to do vitals so she woke him up. He woke up grumpy! "Why am I all wet?" he asked. I told him I peed on him and he said "no you didn't, I peed on you!" He got that right. His capillary refill was greater than 5 and he looked mottled, he had no color in his lips and his respiration's were still 60. After he got up and moved around in the bed he started to look better. I gave him a bed bath and we changed the sheets. He told me he was hungry and wanted chicken nuggets and french fries. I called room service and they sent nuggets and fries for breakfast. He ate half of them. That was the most he's eaten.
He skyped with cousin Nate while he ate his nuggets.
The attending came by, he's off this weekend so he wanted to make a plan. The plan was to try oral antibiotics and turn off his IV fluids today and see how he did. He got up and used the urinal all day which was good. He took the oral omnicef without a problem. They gave him the clindomycin PO. He spit it across the room and all over my computer. He choked and sputtered and said it was spicy. I took a lick. Holy crap it's vile. Curl your toes, make you hurl vile. And they think he's going to take that four times a day for 14 days. Not going to happen! We have the option of not giving him clindomycin and just using the other antibiotics. It's a gamble because he got better when he went on clindomycin. Coincidence? We have no way of knowing unless we take him off and he gets sick or gets better. The attending Dr Fassl keeps saying "kids that come in as sick as him....." I'm not willing to take the risk.

Don and Alika came in this afternoon. Sean was poopy and he wanted to get out of bed and walk around the room. We got an oxygen extension and took him off all his monitors. I wanted to give him a sink bath by just having him stand next to the sink. He got up and his legs were wobbly and he said he was dizzy. In the time I took to wipe him down and change him he was exhausted and asking to get back in bed. "I'm sick!" he said. We got him back in bed, his saturation's had dropped so we had to increase his oxygen, then he went to sleep. It's a reminder of how fragile he still is.

The tentative plan is a PICC line tomorrow afternoon and then home on antibiotics and oxygen.
Apparently Alika was tired too.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors