Sunday, November 20, 2011

Another admit to Primary's

We didn't stay home for long last night. I checked my email, posted a blog, took a bath and then Don, Sean and I laid down. I gave Sean another breathing treatment but the minute he fell asleep I knew he was crashing. His respiration's were up, he was grunting and moaning. I put the pulse oximeter on him and he was 78%. We packed a bag (we came prepared this time) and went to the ER. They got him right back, put him on oxygen. We got there about 11:30 and made it to a room at 3 a.m. Sean was so good, he just sat there and watched when they started his IV. The nurse dug for a good five minutes on the first hand and they got it on the second. He wasn't just being still because he was too sick to fight he was fascinated by what she was doing. He loved looking at his X-rays and seeing his skeleton, heart and lungs. He finally fell asleep in the ER but he got woken up to go upstairs. The nurse upstairs was doing her assessment and when she went to put the electrode leads on him he had a full blown angry melt down. Screaming! The nurse said "I'll go get him a toy." I told her "Just go and he'll be fine." She left and he calmed down then the night residents came to see him. He was calm by then and had a pretty decent remainder of the night. He's still asleep. He has the same nurses he did last time and they all said "oh you're back." Lots of my former students again. Not fun to be known at Primaries. When we were at Kids Care one of the Herrin twins was there too and she looked so miserable. (They were the conjoined twins that got separated a couple of years ago and each has one leg and one had a kidney transplant.) She looked so miserable and it made me grateful for how healthy Sean is despite his lung problems. The kid in the room next to us is a new diabetic. I know because I hear the mom out in the hall talking about carbs and correction doses and that really stinks. Then there are all the kids in ICU an on the oncology floor. All things to keep my perspective. When we were in the ER I couldn't help but think about Jenny or a foster family dealing with this. That would be even yuckier for Sean. That said, this really stinks:(

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors