Monday, November 21, 2011

Going home today

The plan is to go home in a couple of hours on oxygen:) He doesn't have mycoplasma so they don't know what the organism is but since he got better on zithromax they are going to keep him on it. I really want to get out of here. Sean needs oxygen but other than that he is fine. I think he's the healthiest kid in the hospital but because he is on droplet precautions he is confined to his room and that is making us both crazy. We've played with Lego's, done crafts, puzzles, watched TV, played on the lap top..... It's like we are stuck in hotel room and can't get out. Last night I turned on the "white noise" channel on the TV and it really helped us sleep. Alika came over last night and she drove Don home so he could drive his car to work today.


 Reflections on PCMC:
We had been here an hour and I had not seen any of our students then the registration clerk came in and she had been a student. The first nurse when we got to the floor, Candy took our class 15 years ago. She was our nurse last time too. Most of the techs were students, two security guards and a bunch of student nurses that I've seen. Our attending doctor lives a couple of blocks from us. Teaching all these students is awesome because no matter what hospital we are at I feel like we "know" everyone and there is a real comfort level. I've never worked at PCMC but we feel totally comfortable. They've taken excellent care of Sean.

Yesterday I went to church here. I don't know why church can be done in 30 minutes at the hospital but everywhere else it has to last an hour. They had two people playing the sax and clarinet. It was very nice. One of the people who spoke was from the fifth district quorum of the seventy. He was excellent. He said he was at the hospital because he had a grandchild here and felt compelled to come in and speak. So many parents were crying and I felt guilty because Sean is doing so well and I know some of those parents are really suffering and it made me sad. When I got back to the room a little boy across the hall was screaming so terrified "I don't want anyone to see my underwear." That made me sad too. Kids lose so much control when they get sick. We try to give Sean control. I let him hook his monitors back up, put his oxygen on and adjust the bed. When the nurses tell him not to look when he's getting "poked" I tell him he can. He does much better if he sees what is happening.

I'm thankful for the staff at the hospital. I'm thankful for all the great students who have gone through my school and now work here! I'm very grateful for our insurance and the fact that Sean's already met his out of pocket for the year so this admission isn't going to cost me another two grand! I'm grateful that despite these hospitalization's Sean is a healthy kid.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors