Wednesday, November 28, 2012

3 2 1 CAST OFF!

We've been counting down the days to cast off for ten days. Sean woke up and said ZERO days until I get my cast off! I had looked at a few videos on YouTube of kids getting their pins removed and they seemed OK. I decided to give him some Lortab an hour before the appointment because I just can't imagine having pins pulled out of your bone doesn't hurt.



This video makes me sad. It's a lie that it doesn't hurt to have the pins removed because as Sean said "it hurt really really bad." It made me sad. I'm glad he had the Lortab. The only positive was it didn't hurt after they were done and he recovered pretty quickly. We went for ice cream afterwards. He can do protected range of motion. It will take a couple of weeks before he can really straighten it out.

Overall I haven't had any complaints about the care Sean has received from this ordeal. The ER, OR, doctors and nurses have all been great. At the cast off appointment he had to have an x-ray before they removed the pins. The kid who came to get him for the cray as Don pointed out after the fact looked like an idiot.  Sean and I were in x-ray and he took the first one no problem then the second one he tells Sean he has to turn his hand over facing up and lay it flat on the table. Sean starts to cry and I tell him not to do it. I say to the kid "you know he has pins in, I don't think he can do that." The kid grabs Sean's hand and says "I think it's OK." I said "you think, or you know." He just looked at me. I said "go get someone who knows!" He left and came back with a competent woman who had Sean put his arm on a cushion and held the hand sideways. It wasn't too bad because the kid backed down and let go of Sean's hand when I told him no so it was pretty low drama.

Vanessa, a little girl at Sean's school asked me "Sean's mom, what are you going to do about all the shirts you cut?" I thought it funny that she thought about that.

Not related to his cast but Sean and his cousin Tyson have been playing lots. They wanted propellers on top of their hats so they could be Mario. I made some propellers that spun when they jumped on the trampoline and they were so cute.

1 comment:

Cramerica said...

Aww the pins looked like they hurt. It seemed like the Doctor was a little slow on the first one and then noticed Sean was not liking it and hurried before he would start pulling away to avoid the next pin pull.

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors