Thursday, May 30, 2013

Garden Variety

"He's not your garden variety kid." That's the quote from Sean's immunologist and pulmonologist at Primary's. They use it in the context of how he needs to be treated for infection. I just found it peculiar that they used the exact same phrase. I mentioned it to our family doctor and he said, "maybe it's something they teach the doctors at Primary's to say."

Yesterday we went to the pulmonologist for our regular appointment. I wasn't feeling the love by the time we left. I didn't like the tech who did his pulmonary function test very much. I appreciate her concern for hygiene and infection control but she seemed like she had a serious case of OCD. Sean kept wanting to touch the computer screen and I thought the woman was going to have a coronary. Seriously lady, just wipe it off in between kids. Sean had to watch the screen when he blew into the tube. The screen has a balloon or clown or something interactive that Sean chooses. I also got annoyed because she gave us another nebulizer spacer. I said I wish they had told us to bring our own so we didn't get charged again. She said "it's included in the cost of the PFT and I can't take that charge out." I call bull on that. I got a separate $45 charge for that stupid thing last time. I can buy them online for $11. Not that I need another one because now I have three.

After the PFT the pulmonologist comes in the room sits down and looks at Sean's wrist and says "I don't see his medical alert bracelet." Hmm, maybe it's invisible. She asked where it was and I told her at home on my dresser. She was annoyed that I didn't take him to the ER at Primary's when he was sick last month she wanted to know why. I told her money, the ER is expensive and that the urgent care clinic cost less. She said "well, he would have been admitted and then they don't charge for the ER visit." It's nice that she knows how our insurance works. Yes, I know that he would have been admitted and that's what I was trying to avoid. I would rather take care of him at home where he is more comfortable and exposed to less germs.

The one good take away was that she said we should talk to our primary care doctor about seeing Sean when he is sick even when they are full. She said most doctors will accommodate non garden variety kids. (Nah, that's not really how she phrased it). When I talked to our regular doctor today they flagged Sean's information on the computer so if I call in and he has a respiratory problem he is to be seen at the clinic regardless of how busy they are.

We also did a follow up an the orthopedic clinic today. After Lake Powell Sean was holding his arm and not moving it. I was having to give him Tylenol for pain. I made an appointment on Tuesday for today. Of course yesterday his arm got better. He was supposed to do a six month follow up so I decided to keep the appointment and be done with ortho follow up.
Waiting at the pulmonology clinic.

After the doctor appointment we stopped for our Khloe fix. I needed to kiss some cheeks.

Waiting for the orthopedic surgeon. We get in and out of that clinic much faster than the pulmonologist. Sean likes to play with the bones while we wait.

In between the ortho appointment and his kindergarten/five year old check up we went back to Sean's school for an hour. They were planting a garden. Perfect for my non-garden variety kid. Tomorrow is the last day of his traditional school year. I've got him going to summer school to keep him busy but I imagine we will play hooky often.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors