Friday, May 3, 2013

Gross, gross, gross

Don and Sean went hiking Sunday the 20th, two weeks ago while I was at work. They hiked ALL the way up Centerville Canyon as high as the trail went.

The last couple of times I've washed Sean's hair he has complained that it hurt at the base of his neck. I didn't see anything in his hair. (You know where this is going, don't you?) Tonight I was washing his hair and the minute I touched the back of his neck he started to cry. This time I could actually feel something. I pulled his hair up and I could see it was red and it looked like there was a loose scab, a blister or gum or something stuck in his hair. I pulled and he cried but nothing came loose. I put my glasses on to get a better look. Gross, gross, gross, it was an engorged tick. Engorged like the tick on a dog in North Carolina. Barf, I cannot stand ticks. I pulled it off with some tweezers, looked at it under a magnifying glass to see if I got it all out. It had the little pointer thing attached. I had to go online to see if that meant I had pulled it's nasty little head off. Apparently that pointer thing is it's nasty little head. I flushed that hideous little creature down the toilet. Sean was bummed because he wanted to see it. From pictures I would say it was a deer tick. Now we have to worry about Lyme disease though the incidence in Utah is pretty low.
The back of Sean's neck where that hideous little blood sucker has been hanging out. Don clipped the back of his hair line so we could keep an eye on the area. Just in case you were thinking we were totally clueless and hadn't noticed an obvious tick. Sean has seriously thick hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh disgusting, I hate ticks too. They bring back bad memories from my Arkansas days. I thought I was safe in utah from them though. Thanks for bringing back the fear. :) poor Sean--and mom. :)

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors