Sunday, July 15, 2012

Getting in touch with my heritage

My Mormon heritage that is. I am a shopper and a food storage person. I can't stop. We have a closet in our kitchen that had a couple of sweaters and coats that no one wore and boxes of cereal stacked up on the floor. I decided I wanted a can rotation system. Don was game which was important because it was not an exact fit. He had to take all the sheet rock down and cut the boards back to get another two inches to make it fit.
Don was really lucky (and patient) because he had a helper EVERY step of the way. They had to cut a lot of boards and rewire the lights to the living room. Sean even helped me take the stuff that he's not allowed to touch out of the Grandfather clock. When I handed him a blue glass cat he said "I've always wanted to touch this!"

Learning how to use the caulk gun

Mixing grout.


Sean supervising Don as he pours the grout. Then they put up the new sheet rock and walls, painted and it was ready for the shelves.
Of course Sean loaded the cans on the shelves. He thought it was like a race track if you put a can of green beans in at the same time as a can of pineapple, which can gets to the end fastest?
The final result. Pretty darn cool. I have a ton of beans. Black beans, red beans, kidney beans, navy beans, green beans.

Not so in touch with my Mormon heritage. Mormon's all over go on Pioneer Treks. They dress up like pioneers and go out, wearing old time clothes and pull wagons in an effort to get in touch with what the pioneers went through. I have always thought this really dumb. It's 103 degrees out. I don't even want to ride in a car without airconditioning. I can read a book about pioneers and get a pretty good idea for what a miserable, horrible experience it was. I have no desire to live it. I feel lots of empathy for people starving in Ethiopia and I have no desire to live in a tent and starve. I just read today that in some parts of Africa women had a one in nineteen chance of dying in childbirth. I wouldn't recommend anyone go there and try it out. My sister in law Teresa went on one of those treks a couple of weeks ago and she cut her leg on an out house. (Actually a port a potty) Apparently she would have been safer doing her business in the woods. Anyway she got a really nasty infection which required really nasty antibiotics. One of which caused her to go into anaphylaxis so she spent a couple of days in the ICU in  trendelenburg because she couldn't maintain her blood pressure with a central line recovering. Not that I ever considered going on a trek but if I did it would be fodder for why I shouldn't. Teresa has recovered and is home.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

That food storage shelf is beautiful. The envy to all of us Mormons out there trying to build our supply.

That's too bad about Teresa. I hope she's doing better. Trek never appealed to me either.

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors