Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Scleroderma


We've been blaming all Grandmas’ symptoms on her post polio syndrome: increasing fatigues, pain, hair loss, dental problems, digestive problems, tons of telangiectasia, skin problems, and sleep problems. Apparently we were mistaken it is scleroderma.


What is scleroderma?

Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease of the connective tissue featuring skin thickening, spontaneous scarring, blood vessel disease, varying degrees of inflammation, associated with an overactive immune system. Autoimmune diseases are illnesses that occur when the body's tissues are attacked by its own immune system. Scleroderma is characterized by the formation of scar tissue (fibrosis) in the skin and organs of the body. This leads to thickness and firmness of involved areas. Scleroderma, when it's diffuse or widespread over the body, is also referred to as systemic sclerosis.

I didn't initially believe the diagnosis when we first got the lab test requesting we come in for repeat lab test. I've seen scleroderma but I've never seen it in someone as old as mom. Usually it has an onset before 60. We went back in and repeated the test. I was out looking at assisted living centers to arrange for respite care for mom when Don and I are out of town when mom got a call asking her to make a 30 minute doctor appointment to discuss test results. Hmm, that's a diagnosis right there.

The assisted living is in response to mom's request to go to a "spa for seniors" while Don and I are out of town. I told her "I think those spa's are called assisted living." Doctor Horsley thought that was funny he told mom "that's euphuism if ever I heard one but at least you can play bingo."

What now? We had a doctor appointment yesterday; she has a dentist appointment today to get a tooth pulled and a root canal. On Thursday she goes for pulmonary function test and an echo cardiogram. Bottom line, there is not much they can do about it. I'm supposed to check her blood pressure every week because she can go into renal failure and a hypertensive crisis very quickly. I have to work the next two weeks so I couldn't schedule any appointments then but she has her podiatrist appointment the next week I have time off.

I think it's time for Brad and Lynn to get over here and help out with some doctor appointments.






No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors