Friday, January 25, 2013

Lie's my mother told me

Sean's been asking a lot of questions about Santa lately. They all stem around Santa's immortality. I told him last week that Santa lived in our hearts and minds and that was why he didn't die. Today he told me when he grows up he is going to be Santa. I asked "why is that?" He said "because Santa doesn't die." I told him Santa was more like a super hero then a real person. I compared him to Spider man and Superman. Sean said "NOOOO, you don't know anything. Santa is not a Superhero." (Great, that is starting early). I told him Santa didn't have a heart and blood and he said of course he does or he wouldn't be alive. Finally I told him Santa isn't a real person, he's just something that makes people feel good. He is an idea and a good feeling and that the Santa's he see's aren't real Santa's. He pondered on that for a minute and then asked who gave him his presents. I said daddy and I do. He then asked "If I was bad and got a lump of coal would that come from you too?" I told him it would. I hated to burst his bubble at five but I really am not fond of lying about Santa or the Easter bunny or any of thats stuff.  I don't know if it's because he is adopted or all the trauma surrounding his birth family but I really don't want him to have to wonder about what is true. He asked the other day if he could stay with us forever or if he would ever have to go live with another family. I think being adopted gives kids an insecurity on some level that those of us who aren't adopted can't understand.

I know his thinking about death is because his Grandma Sharon died and I feel sad that he has to understand that she's not coming back. You want to protect your kids from everything and you can't.

When his tooth got lost I told him the tooth fairy would put money under his pillow and he asked "are you the tooth fairy?" I told him yes so that wasn't a big deal. I don't think he was keen on the thought of a fairy coming in his room and messing with his pillow while he was sleeping.

Sean asked me the other day why I like Oreo's so much. I said "because they are full of vitamins! (Oh the lies his mother told him). Later that evening Sean was holding the Oreo's reading the wrapper and saying  vvvv, vvvv... I asked him what he was doing and he said "I don't see the word vitamin on here." I had to tell him there were no vitamins in Oreo's. Now he knows all the secrets! Soon I will have to tell him that Sunny D is not really orange juice.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors