Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The writing on the wall

I went to pick mom up from Lakeview yesterday afternoon. The PA had called me and said they STRONGLY suggested she be admitted to a nursing home. I told him I appreciated his suggestion and reminded him there are countries all over the world that don't have nursing homes and people do just fine.

I got to the hospital and mom was sitting up in her wheelchair. They wanted to give her a shower as she hadn't had one for four days. Only problem is the shower there is a bathtub with a slide board and there is no way in hell she is going to be able to sit on that board much less get off of it. Their suggestion, "we have strong guys to lift her." That sounds like a terrific solution. Her back is broken so you are just going to have someone haul her off the board. I don't think so! I asked if there was a shower room or any rooms with walk in showers. She checked and said the rooms with walk in showers were all occupied. I sat and looked at the bathtub for awhile trying to come up with a solution. There was a bedside commode in her room that was pretty high. I took the commode removed the bucket and set it in the bathtub. I asked mom if she thought she could sit back into the chair with her legs on the outside of the tub. Great, a solution. The C.N.A. came in the room and I asked her for some towels. When she saw my plan she said "the floor will get wet." Hm, I told her "it sucks to be you." Seriously, you haven't showered her since she got here. They were lucky I didn't just give her a shower in the middle of the floor.

Shower was done, she was dressed in her chair waiting for the discharge instructions and she said "why do you think someone wrote all over the wall." I asked her what wall and she points to the wall next to the door. I said mom there is nothing there. She then starts to read pages of words off the wall. She totally saw the words and said they were written with a red sharpy.  She read the wall. It was very freaky. It reminded me of Sharon and her visual hallucinations.

I went out and told the doctor who came in the room and mom read the wall to him too. Well, there went that discharge. I put mom back in the bed. As I was leaving the nurse asked "do you think it could be the phenergan I gave her?" What phenergan??? Yes, I think it could be the phenergan. When I got home I checked the internet and there are 31 FDA reported visual hallucinations as adverse reactions to phenergan.
Good grief. I guess I should have taken her and run.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors