Thursday, January 3, 2013

Resting comfortably

 Ativan did the trick. Sharon's agitation is pretty much gone and I don't think she is having hallucinations. She still holds her hand up in front of her face even though her eyes are covered with her hat but I don't hear her talking to anyone. It was getting very confusing for her because when I would talk to her she was never sure if I was real or not. For awhile she was concerned that we had taken her to Utah and wanted to go back to Lovington. I think the dogs trying to sit on her face brought her back to reality.

I gave Sharon two .5 Ativan last night as that is what the Hospice nurse recommended. I gave it to her at about 5 p.m. after her dinner of imaginary tomatoes. About 7 p.m. I heard her yell and a thud. She had rolled off her bed and hit her head on the bedside table. She landed on the egg crate mattress I put on the floor. Her head bled a little but not too bad. I tried to get her back in bed by myself but couldn't manage. I put a pillow under her head and covered  her up. When Don got home I decided I didn't want to put her back in the bed I wanted to move her mattress to the floor and put the egg crate next to it, that way there would be no more chance of falling. She can't sit up on her own so she's not going to get up. The worst she could do is roll off the mattress onto the egg crate. I also thought it might be a nice place for the dogs to lay. They jump up on the bed and climb all over her.
I know Sharon would not want me to take her picture but I took this one. You can barely see the top of her head. She's under the blanket and the dogs are laying on her. I'm not much of a dog lover but I appreciate how protective the dogs are of her. When I shut them out of her room they lay on the floor next to her door and cry. They are not happy unless they are right next to her. That is the beauty of hospice and dying at home instead of a hospital. I'm still playing classical music. I think it soothes her.

Don and Sean have gone into Decatur to a children's museum. They had a really good time in Fischer yesterday with Don's dad.  They went to a doctor's appointment with his dad and Sean was running around a post and had a huge coughing fit and they made him wear a mask. His pneumonia is pretty much cleared up. He is still on antibiotics but he only needs the inhaler when he gets too active.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors