Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hiking and other fun stuff

Sean and the girls playing on a plank of wood after we got off the boat. He looks like one of the locals.

There were banana trees everywhere. Steph's mom and Uncle both work for Chiquita.




How many people can you fit on a hammock.

There were people living in patched together shacks in this isolated town. It made me think about poverty. If I was going to be totally dirt poor (which I do not want to ever be) I would rather be poor in a beach front shack in a 72 degree rain forest. They can really be relatively self sufficient. There is fruit everywhere and a sea to fish in. They sure leave less of a carbon foot print than the rest of us. What defines success? Education, money a nice home or just loving your family and being happy? I love my family and I'm happy so everything else is a bonus. I just wondered if the people there want to be somewhere else or do they just want to stay there for generations. It's an interesting place for Nattie to raise her kids but she isn't from there and can always leave.

The group getting ready to venture out for a "little hike".

Steph and AJ at the top of the mountain. What a view.

This is the biggest ant I've ever seen. I got bit by the little ones and it hurt this one would feel like being bit by a dog.

Another red frog.

I didn't think that hike was "little" it was crazy. Straight up a muddy mountain. I came down on my butt. Note that I am sweating like a humid pig and look much worse than everyone else. I ended up throwing those shoes away.
If getting dirty and sweaty was the goal

I succeeded!!

 I earned a coconut.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Contributors